cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet down

Hello my internet is down and it is not the first time. I find this very irresponsible as I am a uni student that needs to get work done. I need this fixed as soon as possible, my flatmates and I aren’t paying £22 a month for this.

8 REPLIES 8
redchiz1
Champion 2

You won't get any direct support from NOW on here I'm afraid, give them a call on 0330 041 2518.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

‘Irresponsible’ is a curious word to use in this context.

Who do you think is being irresponsible, and how?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe Now TV are, this isn’t the first time I’ve had problems with the broadband. This is the wrong time for it to not work since I have assignment deadlines due soon. No point paying £22 a month if this is what will constantly happen.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If the problem is with Now’s central equipment, and they are maintaining it carelessly, then you may have a point.

But localised issues are out on the wider network, and here Now are entirely dependent on Openreach to maintain the infrastructure, as are about 80% of UK broadband subscribers.

Now don’t offer FTTP, only FTTC, and FTTC is about 5 times less reliable than FTTP (according to EE’s adverts, based on their own current subscribers).

Another thing to consider is SLAs. I’ve no idea what SLA Now have with Openreach, but I see wait times being quoted on the Community that I wouldn’t tolerate from BT. (And indeed, I wouldn’t have to, as BT supply a gizmo that will kick in within three minutes to reconnect me over cellular, if the landline ever goes down, for as long as it is down).

When choosing a broadband supplier, anyone with non-negotiable work or study deadlines needs to consider reliability, continuity and MTTR (mean time to repair) issues along with pricing, however superficially attractive.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB  If you're a student there are many alternative places in which you can get your work done accessing free WiFi utilising the services that your institution offers. Not always ideal of course, but my oldest son often preferred it to the hurly-burly of his shared flat. Far preferable for the odd blip I would have thought rather than paying stupid prices for BT and the like. Especially if money is tight, which to be fair is NOW's main selling point. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Any news after calling?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The broadband is up and running again, thank you 

redchiz1
Champion 2

I should have added that NOW broadband services are entirely dependent on the state of the creaking Openreach network in your area at any given time. No consolation of course, but it is what it is. And it breaks.