cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have I been charged twice?

Hello,

On the 1st of July, we signed up for broadband and phone line with NowTV. It said on the order summary that it was going to cost us £20 per month, plus a one-time charge of £5 for the set-up of the new line. So we got charged £25 on that day.

Today we got everything installed and running, and we found out that they just charged us another £20 today. Is this normal? Are they really incorrectly charging us twice or did I read the terms wrong?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, and thank you for that @schnapps 

UPDATE 2:

So, I called them again and a different person picked up this time. After telling them what happened, including that this was my second time calling, they were able to speak with other departments and confirm that the £20 installation fee is incorrect. In fact, they said that this has been a recurring incident happening in recent days and that this is completely abnormal.

They were able to refund me the £20 in the form of account credit, which means that I will not have to pay for broadband next month. I encourage everyone encountering this issue to give them a call!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you sign up to NOW Broadband you usually pay the £5 delivery charge fee for the NOW Hub Router straight away.

Then normally what happens the day you go live you pay the first £20 monthly Broadband payment.

When you go to your NOW online account under Manage My Account > My Bills & Payments what does it show ?

I am also assuming when you signed up to NOW Broadband you didn't opt for the 12 months NOW Sports TV Membership option which would be at a guess around the £20 to £25 price mark each month ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Thank you for your reply.

I paid those £5 on the day I signed up, plus another £20 at the same time. Then £20 today, when my line went live.

Under "Recent payments" there is the £20 charge of today for Broadband and Calls. Then below, under "One-off payments" are the charges for the 1st of July: New Phone Line Installation - £20, Fibre set up fee - £0, NOW Hub Delivery Charge - £5, NOW Hub Two - £0.

Is this normal? I don't recall them telling us that there would be a new phone line charge, and we also didn't sign up for any extra memberships...

Thank you

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The only setup fee i am aware of is a £60 admin fee if you go with a non 12 month contract and can cancel anytime.

If you commit to a 12 month NOW Broadband contract there is no setup fee which i am aware of (unless this has changed recently) though i couldn't see anything on the NOW website having a quick look at their current Broadband deals.

The only upfront payment for the Saver 12 months Broadband contract is the £5 delivery fee for their Hub Router.

Best you give the NOW Broadband Team a call tomorrow.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see -- Yeah I don't remember reading about that set-up fee either, and we did go for the 12-month contract.

I will call them tomorrow then, thank you for your help!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

There is a little bit of information on the last FAQ on this linked article below.

I did ask NOW previous to change the £9.99 P&P of the Hub to £5 to reflect the current price.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-broadband 

I am sure this above article did previously mention the £60 non 12th month cancel anytime Broadband option, but it doesn't show the price anymore or if the price has changed.

Also i am assuming under your My Broadband & Calls or Messages it doesn't say you are on a non contract for £20 up front fee anywhere and it's definitely a 12 month contract you have signed up too ?

Hopefully the NOW Broadband Team will figure out what has happened.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for that @schnapps 

I just went over the "My Broadband and Calls" page and all of my messages, and gave the Terms & Conditions in my "Messages" page a read. I didn't find anything regarding an upfront fee, and I am pretty sure I signed for a 12-month contract. However, I found this in the Terms & Conditions document that may be useful:

"What happens if I don’t have a working compatible phone line? If you don’t have a working compatible phone line (Line), we can arrange for a new phone line to be installed or an existing phone line to be activated (New Phone Line). We will confirm the charge (if any) for your New Phone Line at the time of booking. "

But the thing is that I was never told that there would be any charges for the line installation, I even checked all of my emails from NOW...

I think I will just call them tomorrow and see what is going on, I will post an update when I know. Thanks again!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPDATE:

So, I called them this morning and all they could tell me is that this is an activation fee that all customers are charged. They assured me that this was not an incorrect payment and that basically I am not entitled to a refund...

I just find this a bit suspicious because I am certain that I never read anything about this when I signed up or when they booked the engineer visit to set up the line. I wish it was made more clear if it was there. I guess there is not much that I can do about it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

This charge must be new, where I haven't come it across it before since July 2022.

There was nothing obvious I could see from reading the T&C's from the NOW Broadband offers website.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I would also question this by using the complaints web form on my previous link rather than speaking to a NOW Broadband Advisor.

To see if you get a different response and ask them to point out where the £20 activation fee is indicated for customers on a Saver 12 month contract.