cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cessation charge

Hi, I have just moved over from Plusnet and so far no issues. However, Plusnet have levied a £30 Cessation Charge. My understanding is that if the service was transferred within the OpenReach network, which I understood Sky/NowTV to be part of then no charge would be levied. However, they have applied the charge. Can someone from NowTV please confirm if service would have been switched within the Openreach network?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have been a Plusnet customer for many years, and I am at a loss to understand why anyone would choose to migrate from Plusnet to NowTV Broadband. But each to his/her own!

Smiley Tongue

I had been a Plusnet customer for over 16 years across 3 home moves. There are various factors in the move but the main one is pricing. Plusnet are no longer the most competitive offering out there. The £1 price rise in June won't help.

As per itchi-ni, I looked to Plusnet for a retention deal and they admitted they could come nowhere close to the NowTV offering. To be fair , I have had no issues since moving across to NowTV for broadband and have been up and running for a few weeks now on my own router. I am a low maintenance user as long as things are working. My contact with Plusnet supports has dropped over the years as my usage has become very standard. 

I left on what I believed to be very amicable terms and would certainly have considered a return in the future and told them as much several times. The unfortunate thing is, that this little kick out the door has soured my experience a little with the levy of a fee that I had checked would not be applicable but was applied nonetheless.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Very interesting.  The Plusnet rules about cessation charges are far from clear, despite what they say!  What you get seems to depend upon who deals with your cessation request.

As for competitive pricing, well there are other factors which take precedence over price as far as I'm concerned - especially reliability, speed and standard of customer service.  When GigaClear eventually come up with their promised FTTP service in my area, I shall move to them despite their high prices, because they are going to offer the choice of 50, 100 or 1000 Mbps speed - both downstream and upstream.  At present, I am stuck with 11 Mbps maximum downstream speed, due to the intransigence of Openreach, no matter which ISP I choose. They are all limited to the same low speed.  There is no Virgin cable in this area.

I am pleased to hear you have managed to get your own router working on the NowTV broadband service, because they seem to go out of their way to make it difficult for people to do that.  Also, if the level of customer support offered by the TV arm of NowTV is anything to go by, I would be disinclined to subscribe to their broadband service under any circumstances!

Wlat

Chrisjf
Advocate

Sky did the same thing to me, they said it was so I didn't get a rebate twice but I haven't had anything back from now TV so I'm thinking sky r bsing but haven't had a reply from now TV from an email I sent