cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cessation charge

Hi, I have just moved over from Plusnet and so far no issues. However, Plusnet have levied a £30 Cessation Charge. My understanding is that if the service was transferred within the OpenReach network, which I understood Sky/NowTV to be part of then no charge would be levied. However, they have applied the charge. Can someone from NowTV please confirm if service would have been switched within the Openreach network?

12 REPLIES 12
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, I have just moved over from Plusnet and so far no issues. However, Plusnet have levied a £30 Cessation Charge. My understanding is that if the service was transferred within the OpenReach network, which I understood Sky/NowTV to be part of then no charge would be levied. However, they have applied the charge. Can someone from NowTV please confirm if service would have been switched within the Openreach network?

Yeah @Anonymous User They are on the same lines so it had to be Openreach. I wonder why they have charged you? Were you within a minumum term or anything like that? Or a final bill?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tony, was on my final bill but had confirmed previously wth them that cessation charge would not be charged. They confirmed this twice and now say it counts as I have moved to Sky (NowTV). Thanks for confirming, I will raise with them.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Tony, was on my final bill but had confirmed previously wth them that cessation charge would not be charged. They confirmed this twice and now say it counts as I have moved to Sky (NowTV). Thanks for confirming, I will raise with them.

Yeah @Anonymous User, take it up with them as it's just a simple transfer using BT Openreach lines so there was no need for a charge. Good lukc and let us know how you get on. Cheers 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Plusnet charge that £30 fee to everyone even those not in contract anymore and have done for few years i had alot of arguments with them about it when i left them and they just say its a disconnection fee that openreach charge them so they pass it onto customer.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

More information here about the Cessation Charge in the Plusnet help article linked below, i would say reading the FAQ where moving between ISP who use the BT Openreach line that there would be no charge.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As I understand it, it's all to do with a technical issue of Sky and NowTV Broadband being LLU providers. (LLU = Local Loop Unbundled).  BT and Plusnet are non-LLU providers.

According to the Plusnet website:

"If you are moving from a non-LLU to to LLU ISP then a cease fee IS applicable.
It's quite clear in the T&Cs that this is the case.

moving from plusnet (non-LLU) to Sky (LLU) would result in a cease fee.

moving from plusnet (non-LLU) to BT(non-LLU) would not result in a cease fee.

moving from plusnet (non-LLU) to Talk Talk (LLU) would result in a cease fee.

moving from plusnet (non-LLU) to Vodafone (LLU) would result in a cease fee."

Wlat

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

From my understanding aren't Plusnet owned by BT nowadays ?

Just moved from BT to NowTV broadband & phone line and there was no Cessation Charge shown on my final BT bill.

Or is this cessation charge of £30 under the T&C's for Plusnet customers only ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

From my understanding aren't Plusnet owned by BT nowadays ?

Plusnet are, indeed, a subsidiary of BT ... although they do not publicise that fact.  They operate as an independent company within the BT Group.

I have been a Plusnet customer for many years, and I am at a loss to understand why anyone would choose to migrate from Plusnet to NowTV Broadband. But each to his/her own!

Smiley Tongue

Wlat

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to throw in my ten penneth.

Did a move from plusnet to nowtv bb and did not incurr any charges.

Asked PN for a retention deal but they could not give me one worth considering so I said OK just keep me as I am.  Applied to NowTV BB to switch and all went really smoothly, no charges at all from PN!

Unless of course there is one lurking in the PN ether!!