cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Age content restriction on devices even when parental controls are switched off on my account

As title says, age restriction is off on my account but devices can't access age restricted sites when connected to WiFi. Browsers state that safesearch is 'locked on' saying 'you don't have permission to change your safesearch setting. its locked by the device or network that you are browsing on.'

Any suggestions?

(ignore label, I couldn't find an appropriate label)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you gone into your NOW online account under My Details &Settings > Settings & Pins and changed the Broadband Buddy age setting ?

Also I believe safe search is a Chrome internet browser feature and have you tried a different internet browser to see if the websites you are after are not age rated blocked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you gone into your NOW online account under My Details &Settings > Settings & Pins and changed the Broadband Buddy age setting ?

Also I believe safe search is a Chrome internet browser feature and have you tried a different internet browser to see if the websites you are after are not age rated blocked.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you switching off the Parental controls which is only TV streaming related when using NOW or going into your Broadband Buddy settings and changing the default age rating from PG13 to something like 18 which should open most websites when using the internet.

Jayach
Elite 3

I'm surprised you say browsers are reporting that safe search is on. If it were the NOW broadband buddy causing it, the browser should just report the site as unavailable, it should have no idea why.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Which ISP are you with? And your browser settings should have no bearing on your access to NOW TV.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

SafeSearch is a Google Search feature, and so will crop up in any browser using this search engine.

Here is some more information about it:-

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/9448272#why_setting_locked&zippy=%2Creasons-why-your-safesearch-setting-might-be-locked%2Ccheck-if-your-safesearch-setting-is-locked

It will either think that NowTV.com is a safe site or it won’t, but this is not anything set by Now, beyond Now being able to consult with Google if it thinks it is inappropriately rated.

If you are encountering SafeSearch locked on, then it is likely that you do not have, and are not intended to have, access to change this setting on the computer you are using.

However, in the scenario in which you are an adult, and this is your own computer, and SafeSearch is locked on, and you cannot unlock it because you do not know the password, it will be best to consult a local computer repair shop to assist you in changing this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.