cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pbreadysky
Scholar

using Now Tv as a sky subscriber

Hi, I've just bought a Now TV for a  sky subscriber friend as her TV isn't smart and she'd like access to YouTube etc.

A few queries:

1. Can she use her sky Id (I presume she has one) to sign into the NOW TV box without having to pay for a now tv subscription i.e. just to use the non - now tv apps alone? Or will we have to sign up for a free trial and immediately cancel? I understand her sky subscription strangely doesn't allow her to access her sky package via the now tv apps.

2. Her TV only has one HDMI input, so I'm planning to use a small 3 in/ 1 out hdmi switch to permit swapping between her sky and now tv boxes. IIRC these switches tend to operate automatically on detecting a signal, but I don't see how to switch the now tv box off so it can switch back to the sky box which is in an upstairs cupboard, with a link down to the tv in the lounge. Having to go upstairs to manually switch between the now tv and sky boxes would be far from ideal...

3. I'm also hoping the IR(?) remote extender she uses now to control her sky box will also suffice for the now tv remote. Might I expect any issues here?

I'm hoping that the now tv will give us a quick and cheap way of accessing smart tv functions (albeit limited) without having to go out and buy a new tv...

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Legend 5
Legend 5

She should be able to register on the Now site with her Sky ID and then log into the box. Passes on Now are separate so if you have Sky Movies on Any you will need an additional pass to watch same on the Now box.
Get a HDMI switcher with a remote, they are slightly more expensive but much easier than keep getting up.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use one these auto switches no need to get up manually switch or to have an extra remote with remote switcher.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0020426AG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461683609&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywo...
Pbreadysky
Scholar

Thanks, I got  the Betron one but it looks identical. I think I used to have the one you show and it did switch automatically. Do you need to switch off the sky box for the now tv box to spring into life, and back on or it to come back on? I'll hopefully give it a go soon...

cheers

Legend 5
Legend 5

No can leave both on plus other devices depending on how many HDMI ports your switcher has. (Remotes are helpful here)
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.