cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

account hacked

Hi all hope someone can help, previously I have only used NOWTV to buy sports passes to watch whaat I want, but to my horror I have "allegedley" subscribed to all packages after taking out trials, which I have found has been taken out of my credit card account.

So you cant phone anyone so i started a web chat, the first person i spoke to seemed simpathetic and was trying to help, they got as far as advising me they would cancel the subscriptions, then the web chat timed out! so I started again but wasnt able to get in contact with the first person, and this web chat timed out too, so wasnt able to progress, the second person did contact me via email, but after one email this has dried up.

has anyone had a similar experience with any advice?

I had advised my credit card company which has stopped any payments from NOWTV, but there are £42 which i have paid out already, I have asked if they can provide the IP address which this was accessed to prove it wasnt me and reclaim this any advice would be great.

cab2

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Did you cancel each of the packages before the trial period ended?  If you do not cancel each one individually, they will auto-renew at the end of the trial.  To cancel each package, you must click on the Cancel button, then follow ALL the steps through until the end, when it will confirm that your renewal has been cancelled.

If you are having difficulty in getting through to Live Chat, there is a link on the My Passes page entitled "I think I've been charged incorrectly".  This will take you to an email form that you can fill in and send them the details.

Good luck!

Wlat

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, I never took the trials on, I`m nearly sixty, have no kids or grandkids and I hardly find time to watch everything I record on skyQ let alone watch movies entertainment packages and I have been subscribed to sports aswell, last time I bought a weeks sports pass was December!!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D

Could you please take a look at this.  The customer says trial packages have been set up without his consent and these have auto-renewed without his knowledge.

Thanks,

Wlat

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Wlat

You know, I thought NowTV had abandoned their discredited policy of "activating dormant" users' accounts without permission but I guess, discredited or not, it's pulling in too much money to give up on.

It's just another dodgy business idea imported from the US, it will probably remain a "business practice" until it's either ruled illegal or unethical by the courts.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

You know, I thought NowTV had abandoned their discredited policy of "activating dormant" users' accounts without permission but I guess, discredited or not, it's pulling in too much money to give up on.

It's just another dodgy business idea imported from the US, it will probably remain a "business practice" until it's either ruled illegal or unethical by the courts.

@ukbobboy

Hi Bob,

Yes, that thought did cross my mind when I was replying to the OP.  If NowTV are, indeed, activating trials and/or passes without the customer's prior permission, this is quite alarming.  If these passes are set to auto-renew, it means we all have to log in to our "My Passes" page at least once a week ... for ever ... just to make sure we are not going to be charged for an auto-renewal which we did not ask for.  It certainly is a thoroughly dodgy marketing strategy and it may well be illegal.  The only sure method to put an end to this would be to tell your bank or card issuer to refuse ALL future demands for payments by NowTV.

The up-coming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which becomes law on 25th May could prove interesting in this context.  Under this law, it will be illegal for a customer's payment details to be retained on file if he has asked for them to be removed.

Wlat

Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPDATE

Hi all ok so I have been refunded for the Kids, Cinema & Entertainment passes as yes said “we can see no content has been viewed” ok.

So they are not refunding me for the two sports passes, one was a week pass they charged me £12.99 not £10.99  Hmm!

The other, a day pass was purchased at around 17.30 on the 29th March, on this day we had gone away in our caravan for easter so I wasn’t at home and didn’t take my laptop, HHHmmmmm!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi all hope someone can help, previously I have only used NOWTV to buy sports passes to watch whaat I want, but to my horror I have "allegedley" subscribed to all packages after taking out trials, which I have found has been taken out of my credit card account.

So you cant phone anyone so i started a web chat, the first person i spoke to seemed simpathetic and was trying to help, they got as far as advising me they would cancel the subscriptions, then the web chat timed out! so I started again but wasnt able to get in contact with the first person, and this web chat timed out too, so wasnt able to progress, the second person did contact me via email, but after one email this has dried up.

has anyone had a similar experience with any advice?

I had advised my credit card company which has stopped any payments from NOWTV, but there are £42 which i have paid out already, I have asked if they can provide the IP address which this was accessed to prove it wasnt me and reclaim this any advice would be great.

cab2

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello I’m having constant problems with my Nowtv stick. Next door neighbors obtained my details either through a phishing email I clicked on or my username and security question so I have lost control of the stick entirely. I change the email and passwords and they still get back in. I don’t think nowtv is as secure as they “claim” to be. The online advisors are either very helpful or just can not be bothered at all. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Kate

If what you have posted is correct then I believe you only have two courses of action:-

1) Completely close down your Now TV account and have all your payment details deleted, this will insure that your payment/bank details cannot be hacked as well.

2) If the computer you are using has been compromised, as I believe it probably is, then you will have to take your machine to a reputable computer repair establishment and have it zeroed, i.e. have every software/application deleted, including the OS, and then reformatted then have all your software reinstalled.

Option 2 is drastic but it's the only way to insure that any keylogger, spyware or any other form of malware secretly installed on your computer is completely deleted.

Good luck

UK Bob