cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What identifier is used to determine my device

Hi,

By what means are my devices registered. For example I have a single chromecast. I have taken it away for Christmas. Now TV has registered this as a different device. So now I have 2 chromecast devices registered even though it is the same device.

this makes me think it is doing this by IP Address rather than the MAC Address which would be unique to the device.

Does anyone know how this works. These days we use mobile devices and connect to different networks and are assigned different IP Addresses, so if my suspicion is correct this will happen a lot. If I am wrong then my chromecast should only be in my list once.

i'm confused please help me understand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

It's not based on IP address, you should be free to take your Chromecast, NOW TV boxes, tablets and phones and connect from any location as long as it's in the UK without it affecting your device limit. I'm not exactly sure what identifier they use for Chromecasts, I imagine MAC is as good as anything. 

When you return home try playing the Chromecast again on your home network, then on your Manage Devices page see which entry is recorded as last watched, and delete the old one to free up your slot. If you run into problems with device limit error messages, you can have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can reset your devices  for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

It's not based on IP address, you should be free to take your Chromecast, NOW TV boxes, tablets and phones and connect from any location as long as it's in the UK without it affecting your device limit. I'm not exactly sure what identifier they use for Chromecasts, I imagine MAC is as good as anything. 

When you return home try playing the Chromecast again on your home network, then on your Manage Devices page see which entry is recorded as last watched, and delete the old one to free up your slot. If you run into problems with device limit error messages, you can have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can reset your devices  for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks,

I'll sort it out when I get back home after Christmas