cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Taking money without permission

Hello,

I was informed by email that my payment couldn't be processed after my 2 months movie pass had ended. This was fine as I didn't have money at that time. I thought this would be the end of it but apparently not. Today nowtv has taken £9.99 from my bank account, this is odd as I received the email saying it couldn't be processed around 2 weeks ago. Why now is beyond me as I didn't authorise this. I realised this after I went out and bought a £15 gift card for 2 months movies from currys. I haven't received an email saying my payment has gone through or anything like that of the sort, very shady business nowtv. If somehow I could get a refund for the £9.99 that would be great as I'm slightly annoyed after going out and purchasing a gift card. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The reason why you've been charged is because the NOW TV service(s) you've subscribed to 'roll on' automatically if not cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!

You might however be able to get your subcription payment(s) returned to you but obviously the NOW TV people will check to see when you last viewed any content on the service(s) you subscribed to.

Anyway, I suggest you contact a NOW TV representitive via the forums 'live chat' facility. And the easiest way of doing this is by using a Windows or Mac computer, not a mobile device, as their web browsers are not sophisticated enough to display active sub-windows (ie: windows within windows). Here's what you need to do: -

• Click on the following: Manage my account link.
  • Scroll down to the green coloured 'Contact Us' button (on the bottom left of the web page) and click on it.
  • A new web page should open up with the 'Live Chat' button at the top right of the page.
  • Click on the 'Live Chat' button and a new window should open up, with a range of drop-down options and a 'Request Chat' button.

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The reason why you've been charged is because the NOW TV service(s) you've subscribed to 'roll on' automatically if not cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!

You might however be able to get your subcription payment(s) returned to you but obviously the NOW TV people will check to see when you last viewed any content on the service(s) you subscribed to.

Anyway, I suggest you contact a NOW TV representitive via the forums 'live chat' facility. And the easiest way of doing this is by using a Windows or Mac computer, not a mobile device, as their web browsers are not sophisticated enough to display active sub-windows (ie: windows within windows). Here's what you need to do: -

• Click on the following: Manage my account link.
  • Scroll down to the green coloured 'Contact Us' button (on the bottom left of the web page) and click on it.
  • A new web page should open up with the 'Live Chat' button at the top right of the page.
  • Click on the 'Live Chat' button and a new window should open up, with a range of drop-down options and a 'Request Chat' button.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have cancelled previous movies as I thought they are substandard.  Then bought a voucher bundle after this expired as it was far cheaper.  Then Now TV took £9.99 out of my account without permission on the 30/06/20016. I would never pay £9.99 for this service its terrible, the  over half of the new ones are old.

Discussing you should be ashamed. I would like a refund please

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have cancelled previous movies as I thought they are substandard.  Then bought a voucher bundle after this expired as it was far cheaper.  Then Now TV took £9.99 out of my account without permission on the 30/06/20016. I would never pay £9.99 for this service its terrible, the  over half of the new ones are old.

Hi @Anonymous User,

The reason why you've been charged is because all the NOW TV service(s) you've subscribed to 'roll on' automatically if they're not cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!

Meaning, as soon as you entered your voucher pass code and started viewing the 'movie' service again, you reactivated your 'movie' subscription again!

That being said, provided you have not viewed any 'Movie' content (which the NOW TV people will thoroughly check) you should be able to get some or all of your subscription payments returned to by contacting a NOW TV representative via the forums 'Live Chat' facility.

The easiest way of contacting 'Live Chat' is by using a Windows or Mac computer, along with various many makes and models of mobile phones and tablets (provided their screen resolution is high enough). Here's what you need to do: -

• Click on the following: How To Contact NOW TV link.
  • Click on the blue 'Start Live Chat' button on the left of the web page.
  • A new 'What can we help you with today?' pop-up window should open up.
  • Click on the 'Request Chat' button.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV have accepted i did not take out a monthly subscription for the movie pass, they have also accepted i have had no useage at all via the movie section neither has there been any activity either, yet they have taken £9.99 monthly payments for approx 2 years. After looking through my account the only useage has been via the sports section which i've purchased both monthly & weekly on many occassions.

When i initially discovered this had occurred i contacted Now TV immediately via live chat & was informed they could only refund a maximun of 2 months = £19.98, this then increased when i demeanded they talk to their manager to £39.96, obviously i decl;ined this as i'm adamant i should get a full refund, all manuscript of this conversation has been recorded & passed onto the financial ombudsman who have advised i am due a full refund, interest on the amount taken & at least a written apology regarding the situation. They have also advised i'd be well within my rights to pursue a small amount of compensation for the time lost & stress caused by their error.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hello @Anonymous User,

Whilst I sympathise with your personal experience. I think the main lesson for everyone to learn is to frequently check your credit/debit card transactions/statements for erroneous outgoing payments!

Kind regards and I wish you a stress free future...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Maybe a bit too late for the advice, but if you can,  use a pre-paid credit card for the acccount.  I did that.

The only minor issue is that prepaid cards don't accept refunds so you lose the 10p on the initial credit card authorisation.  I could have chased this I guess, but as it was only 10p, I let it go (and the free £5 from Pockit more than made up for it).

Continuous Payment Authorities are a real pain.   But if money is ever taken from your credit card/bank account then complain as soon as possible to your bank/credit card provider and they should refund you immediately.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have had exactly the same conversation this morning as well, my subscription was cancelled after the 6 month initial period but they carried on taking the £9.99 fee from my account got the same offer of 2 x £9.99 what a con. They can shove their service where the sun don't shine, might as well be dishonest like 99% of the country and get a dodgy box in stead. Rupert Murdoch is the biggest thief to walk the planet with his Sky TV fees that he is charging 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

This might be a good time to remind people of the following...

• All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) run for their full duration, even if they are cancelled after the first day.
  • All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) 'roll on' automatically if they're not cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'retention offer', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!
  • If your preference is to use 'voucher code passes', you'll need to submit your new pass before your current pass expires
  • 'Free trial' subscribers are notified by email that they will be charged unless they cancel their subscription(s) prior to their 'free trial' ending. So keep a look-out, including your spam/junk mail!
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the grey coloured 'Canel' button will not be accessible.
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the 'Apply voucher' button will not be accessible.
  • New NOW TV voucher code passes can be added within the last month of your current NOW TV services expiry date. The new pass will commence only after your existing pass expires. So you don't lose-out on any days.
  • Setting up a payment PIN on your NOW TV account is advised. As it will be prevent others from purchasing additional NOW TV services without your consent!
  • Cancelling your NOW TV subscription(s) has to be done 'officially' and correctly via your NOW TV account. And has to be done for each of the NOW TV services you have subscribed to. After which you will receive a confirmation email.
  • Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the NOW TV subscriber to manage their NOW TV account or 'accounts' if you have them!

Cheers  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated!