cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN Blocked

Hi is there any way I can watch SkyNOWtv via VPN?

I don't want to watch from another country or avoiding licensing vice versa, I just don't want my privacy invaded and activity logged, recorded or spied on. I assume there's somthing in the t&c's that mean I agree not to break the license agreements anyway, so can my setup be unblocked?

Also I frequently do Other things that require vpn, and want to simultaneously watch SkyNOW, but I can't because the VPN is blocked.

Regards

40 REPLIES 40
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately J2S2

NowTV has in the recent past enforced unannounced policies or, if you like, management decisions that are not explicitly explained in the T&Cs.

I know that this does not help your situation but you should be aware that Sky/NowTV will take and enforce whatever decisions they believe are in the best interest of their company and within UK and (currently) EU law.

I know the above may seem brutal but it's simply the truth.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately J2S2

NowTV has in the recent past enforced unannounced policies or, if you like, management decisions that are not explicitly explained in the T&Cs.

I know that this does not help your situation but you should be aware that Sky/NowTV will take and enforce whatever decisions they believe are in the best interest of their company and within UK and (currently) EU law.

I know the above may seem brutal but it's simply the truth.

UK Bob

I guess nobody will sue them for something like this, but you can only go that far by antagonizing customers. No surprise that Netflix took so much market share from them so quickly.

What strikes me is such a poor decision to rely on geolocation to enforce national boundaries then requiring them to arbitrarily ban VPNs even from the U.K.

On one end there are better alternatives (why not using the iOS location services, no VPN would fool those); on the other end their ban on VPN seems to me just a very basic blacklisting of known VPN server addresses: while my ZenMate VPN account is blocked by NowTv, I played around with the free version of some other VPN service and at least one works (tunnelbear if you ask). It looks a clumsy implementation of a clumsy policy if you ask me... 

@Anonymous User 

For info, I can confirm that NOW TV works fine when accessed in the UK via my own VPN server (which is a Raspberry Pi3 running OpenVPN) located at my home address in the UK and connected to my home broadband connection. Haven't tried access from outside UK though.

I totally get where you are coming from with respect to security concerns when using free public wi-fi hotspots, which is often unsecured, especially for accessing services like ineternet banking.

Hence why I set up and run my own VPN server and, when using public wifi hotspots, access the internet via the OpenVPN client app running on our devices.

However, this particular variant of VPN is often misunderstood & overlooked whenever the subject of VPN is discussed here & elsewhere. Most people immediately think of 3rd party paid for VPN services to get access to overseas based services from UK or access to UK based services from abroad.

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User turn off the VPN when you want to watch turn it back on after.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agree. Actually they are just being pedantic #######
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. I am shocked at this policy. Really bad
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not really, the licence holders don’t want their content viewed outside the market they are selling to, that’s why Netflix put a block on it the majority of end users don’t use vpn so the policy isn’t going to change.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK but if you buy a pass isn't that a "sale"..don't theyrealize if they open up to other counrties for example on a temp pass only basis, their sales will increase

@Anonymous User wrote:

Not really, the licence holders don’t want their content viewed outside the market they are selling to, that’s why Netflix put a block on it the majority of end users don’t use vpn so the policy isn’t going to change.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

OK but if you buy a pass isn't that a "sale"..don't theyrealize if they open up to other counrties for example on a temp pass only basis, their sales will increase

@Anonymous User wrote:

No, because they pay a fee for rights to a particular territory, another company may pay more for rights to the same programming in a different territory and charge their customers more to watch it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just hit this issue whilst using NordVPN and NOW to watch Westworld.  I'm sitting in Scotland with a legit account and a VPN account for Security.

Netflix lets me user a VPN, Amazon let's me use a VPN so it's a right pile of horse dung that NOW do not support or promote safe internet browsing and services.  If my identity and account are verified by logging in and starting a show to play then where's the risk?  Very poor service from a supposed market leader in streaming services.