cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No Credit Card Available

I have Just been showing my NowTV box to a good friend of mine.

He would like a box also but as he is retired he has no credit or debit card.

He is going to buy a box from tesco with an included movie pass.

Is there a way he activate his box without giving a card number?

As a pensioner of the old school he is not very trusting of company holding his financial details.

Can I buy passes for her and give her the numbers to input?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Watch dog won't give a dam... it won't get any air time...

They never cared about Lovefilm, Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll, MLB, NHL, NFL, Itunes, Google, PSN, Music unlimited.

All requiring cedit/debit cards for their Free services and trials, when you set up accounts.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Night_Owl,

Thanks for your post.

Your friend would have to enter debit or credit card details to set up an account with NOW TV.

Kind regards,

Henrik

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV staff Can't tell you to do things that break the rules...

As long as you have a SECONDARY credit/Debit card you can Buy and pay the subscription for the NowTV acccount for the OLD people...

And Give that old person the login details...

SKYs Payment system Only cares that the Details Are correct for the Transaction, It does not care Who is actualy legaly paying the bill as long as the card owner has given permission...

If your hole family were techno pobes but you had enough debit cards you could set up multi accounts  for multi members of your family members and act as a broker for NowTV for your hole sub family members...   

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just a thought but could you use a pre-paid debit card to subscribe etc?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Prepaid credit cards normaly fail verification checks as they don't normaly send c orrect data... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It doesn't state anywhere on the box that you need a credit or debit card I've contacted watchdog. Today regarding this sky is a ###### company and I wish they would fail and sack everyone there 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Watch dog won't give a dam... it won't get any air time...

They never cared about Lovefilm, Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll, MLB, NHL, NFL, Itunes, Google, PSN, Music unlimited.

All requiring cedit/debit cards for their Free services and trials, when you set up accounts.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thinking of buyin a NOW TV box? Seriously, DON'T!

Live Chat

Thank you for waiting. One of our agents will be with you shortly. If there is a queue, your position will be displayed below:

Joenelson: Hi, my name is Joenelson, how can I help?

You: let me type the question before you hang up please!

Joenelson: I'm sorry but if you don't reply in one minutes the chat gets end automatically.

Joenelson: How may I help you?

You: It wasn't anywhere near one minute... Anyway

You: I just bought a Now TV box to watch You Tube, BBCi etc. I don't want any subscription channels so how can I get it to work? It keeps telling me to update my account info before I can log-in. I am not putting my credit card details into it.

Joenelson: I understand that you want to activate your NOW TV Box. I'll help you with it.

You: Thanks

Joenelson: To activate your NOW TV Box, you need an active account.

You: Well I'm logged in online

Joenelson: What you can do is you can complete the sign up procedure with the Sky Movies for 30 days free trial and then cancel if you don't wish to use it further.

You: No I don't want to put in a credit card

Joenelson: You'll have to enter the payment details to validate your account.

Joenelson: It is the part of registration process.

You: Well I don't as I'm not buying anything

Joenelson: Don't worry you won't be charged, unless you purchase any Pass from NOW TV.

Joenelson: It is you who'll have all the access to your account.

You: I won't be purchasing anything so there is no need to enter a credit card

You: Nowhere on the box does it say credit card required.

Joenelson: I understand that you won't be purchasing anything but you need to enter the payment details to validate your account and to keep your account active.

You: Where does it say that on the box?

Joenelson: I agree it is not mentioned on the NOW TV Box. It is mentioned in the terms and conditions of NOW TV.

You: I also already have a Sky subscription

Joenelson: I would like to tell you that Sky services are different for NOW TV services.

You: Oh so it is deliberately misleading then to get you to buy it and then pay for a service you already pay for?

You: Sky movies is Sky movies is it not?

Joenelson: Please understand you won't be paying for anything as you'll be signing up with the free trial for Sky Movies Month Pass.

You: Then what do you want a credit card for?

You: What happens when the trial runs out? Can I still watch the free channels?

Joenelson: As I said, it is a part of registration process and it is necessary to validate your account.

You: I know why it is necessary the same as you do!

Joenelson: You need to cancel the Sky Movies Month Pass before the free trial gets end.

You: What happens if I cancel the trial, can I still watch BBCi etc.?

Joenelson: You'll still be able to watch Free channels.

You: Why can't I watch the free channels now?

Joenelson: Yes, you can watch the free view channels available on NOW TV Box.

Joenelson: As your account is not fully completed, it won't allow you to watch any free channels.

Joenelson: Once you enter your payment details, you can watch the free view channels on your account.

You: So I can't watch free channels until I have given you a payment method for nothing?

Joenelson: Yes but don't worry you won't be charged for anything.

You: Then why do you need them?

Joenelson: All you need to do is cancel the Sky Movies Month Pass as soon as you complete the sign up procedure.

You: And then do you delete all records of my credit card details from your systems?

Joenelson: No, if you remove your credit card details your account will be inactive. You won't be able to watch free view channels available on NOW TV Box.

You: Basically then you just want to be able to bill me for something even though I'm telling you I don't want you to

Joenelson: Trust me you won't be charged for anything for using the NOW TV Box for free view channels.

Joenelson: To add a security layer on your account, you can set the payment PINS on your account.

You: What if I tried to buy something in error as I'm sure will be the case and the payment fails?

Joenelson: To avoid purchasing by mistake, I request you to set the payment PINS on your account.

Joenelson: Whenever you'll try to purchase anything, you'll be asked to enter the payment PINS.

You: What other options are there to watch the free channels as I don't have a credit or debit card.

You: Nor do I know anyone willing to let me use theirs.

Joenelson: I'm really sorry but you need to activate your account

Joenelson: using your payment card details.

You: So what do I do with the paper weight for a refund?

You: Other than contact trading standards?

Joenelson: I'm really sorry but if you don't wish to use your NOW TV Box, you can return it to the shop from where you've purchased it.

You: And I will be refunded? Argos said they wouldn't refund me.

Joenelson: I request you to contact Argos and they'll be able to help you with it.

You: They said if I opened it then their guarantee was void.

You: Nowhere on the box or info said I needed a credit card to watch free TV

Joenelson: We cannot refund you for the NOW TV Box as it is not yet activated and you've purchased it from Argos.

You: So what do I just let the £20 slide then?

Joenelson: Did you receive any voucher code with the NOW TV Box?

You: yes a 1 day Sky sport card that I don't want either

Joenelson: You can use that voucher code to sign up.However, you'll have to enter the payment details to keep your account active.

You: I don't have a credit card as I said before

Joenelson: I'm really sorry but there is no other way through which you can activate your account.

You: Then why don't you tell people that before they buy it instead of saying Free TV?

Joenelson: I'll definitely forward this to my relevant team to make the changes.

You: How does that help me?

Joenelson: I'm really sorry but you won't be able to use NOW TV Box until you enter the payment details.

You: OK so who gives me my £20 back?

Joenelson: I understand your situation you can try once again to contact Argos. I'll also help you with the free post address.

You: This purchase is excluded from our 30 day money back guarantee.

You: What a rip off, I'm taking this to Watchdog and trading standards

Joenelson: I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Joenelson: I tried my best to help you with it.

Joenelson: Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Joenelson: I haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still there?

Joenelson: I’m sorry we couldn't finish our chat. I haven't heard back from you so I'm finishing this chat. If you need any further help contact us again.

The chat has been ended by the agent

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ive got same problem bought from argos with 3 month entertainment package but I dont own a credit/debit card so can't watch it.argos wont refund so money down the drain these idiots dont seem to give a crap wish I didnt bother.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Return the box as being 'faulty'. Argos has no option then to refund unless they can prove its not faulty.