cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm being ripped off

I have just discovered that Now TV have been charging me 9.99 a month every month since September 2014 for a movie package I didn't want and have never used. I have only ever used the day pass for the odd sports event. Not only do they refuse to investigate how this was activated, by who and when but they refuse to refund the money!! I have had to start legal proceedings against them. My advice is don't, ever, give this lot your card details or if you do keep a very close eye on your bank account because they will take money, unauthorised and then refuse to pay it back.

39 REPLIES 39
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi again Raev

Yeah, I got it and I'll stop here as well.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Correct, I should expect replies, I wasn't expecting to be blamed for what is clearly a Now TV error however. Off you go and bang that head, just make it pretty hard and use something heavy. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Similar thing happened to me. Nowtv took a payment didn't credit to my account. Opened a dispute with my bank and nowtv. My bank returned the money however Now TV despite providing with bank statements, account details etc refused to accept liability. When I asked if I could have assurances that this would never happen again - no answer from their help desk. They did however accuse my young children of setting up an alternative email, activating an account, with a different address??! Surprisingly no answer when I asked if they had run an internal search of that address as to whether it belonged to an employee of nowtv. I have a background in financial fraud detection and this company is severely lacking. My advice open a fraud investigation with your bank, there are also two ombudsman for transmissions who will investigate on your behalf. Your bank will also stop the continuous payment being taken.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Kat

I'm glad that you have sorted out your problem with Now TV and had your money returned, I've just got a couple of questions.

1) Have you pinned your Now TV account details, this is an essential first step in protecting your payment details from both friend and foe.

2) Have you checked your Now TV account to see if anyone has been ordering extra services, you probably have but it's not totally clear from your post.

Finally, no company can assure you that mistakes will never happen again because human mistakes, computer glitches and deliberate fraud are all unpredictable events that can be managed when they occur but not planned for. Plus, no UK organisation as far as I'm aware will ever admit to making a mistake, of whatever variety, unless forced to do so.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

...no UK organisation as far as I'm aware will ever admit to making a mistake, of whatever variety, unless forced to do so.

@ukbobboy  I have to disagree with that.  In my experience there are plenty of companies that when issues are pointed out will reimburse you immediately and then use the feedback provided to improve their processes.  A lot of companies do this even if it was your fault as such because if you have an issue with their interfaces then they may not be as clear as they should be.  

Maybe I have been fortunate, but I rarely encounter issues when I complain, well except for Gourmet Society...

PS Now TV have always listened to my issues and given me replacement vouchers etc. where there has been a dispute.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi CE

You said, "In my experience there are plenty of companies that when issues are pointed out will reimburse you immediately and then use the feedback provided to improve their processes."

In my experience, despite whether things are put right at a later date or not, organisations will not admit they they have done anything wrong.  For example, my recent problem with my bank, they will not admit something went wrong but no doubt they will look into the problem and probably correct it if they can.

A problem I had with my local council a couple of years ago, I made an arrangement for them to collect an old piece of furniture, it was not collected.  When I complained they claimed they had a photograph of my front garden, at the appointed time, without the broken furniture they were suppose to collect.

I naturally asked for a copy of that photograph, in the form of a jpg file, it could not be provided, my next question, have you (the person I was talking to) seen that photo? Well, no. I then said the photo does not exist, if it did you could supply it and I would be sanctioned for wasting your time.

The council collected the broken furniture a couple of days later.

What I am saying is that they can put things right without publicly admitting anything, and usually as long as your problem is solved then that's all that matters.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi UKBob

I can assure you my account was fully protected by a pin. There is absolutely no one who could have obtained my card details as I am the only one with access (Only myself and children at my property and has been that was for many years). All emails were submitted to my banks fraud prevention team who were disgusted by nowtv's lack of concern hence why they changed all of my bank cards at the same time as the refund. I actually had no service at all to my box as they had been cancelled two months previously, a copy of my billing details were also submitted. As for a response from Nowtv - to date I've never been given an answer only confirmation that my subscription had been cancelled however I have received emails from them asking for more payments on the monthly date for the fraudulent transaction 23rd as opposed to my actual billing date which had been the 6th. All have been sent to back to nowtv..again no response as to why I am getting them.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Kat

It definitely seems that you have done all that you can do to inform Now TV of their mistake or fraudulent activity initiated by a third party.

As long as you have your bank's fraud team on top is this there is nothing more you can personally do, as for Now TV's unresponsiveness I guess they are conducting their own internal investigations.

As for those emails asking for money, they're probably auto generated.

Good luck

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
My bank returned the money however Now TV despite providing with bank statements, account details etc refused to accept liability.
I have a background in financial fraud detection and this company is severely lacking. My advice open a fraud investigation with your bank, there are also two ombudsman for transmissions who will investigate on your behalf. Your bank will also stop the continuous payment being taken.

@Anonymous User Exactly.  Raise the issue with Now, if they don't deal with it the bank will. 

As for the financial fraud detection, I suspect that companies like Now who don't have banking licences aren't obliged to do it much like any retailer.  There is some rudimentary security such as the Payment PIN, but that is not mandatory.  It probably should be as it is too easy for others in the household to order things without you knowledge.  It is the same with Amazon, where once I ordered a movie by sitting on the remote control!  Lesson learnt, I added a payment PIN. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They are very good at doing this to people and must be making thousands if not millions by doing so.  I opted for the FREE TRIAL on the Entertainment Channel for two weeks and then noticed that they had charged me, when i got in touch with them they made me feel i was going bonkers so I decided it must have been me pressing the wrong button to opt in. The next day I decided to opt into the movie channel for the two free weeks trial and i had someone with me this time to see i had pressed the correct button and opt into the correct package. NOW TV charged me for this package as well.  It seems to me whatever you opt in for they will still charge you for it so basically they have robbed £17.98 from my bank account and without my authorisation.  They will not give the money back to me and when I try to explain to them what has happened they reply to me as if they are talking to puppy...they are scum and  people should leave this NOW TV ###### well alone or get ripped off. NETFLIX has all the channels and they only charge one price of £7.99