cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm being ripped off

I have just discovered that Now TV have been charging me 9.99 a month every month since September 2014 for a movie package I didn't want and have never used. I have only ever used the day pass for the odd sports event. Not only do they refuse to investigate how this was activated, by who and when but they refuse to refund the money!! I have had to start legal proceedings against them. My advice is don't, ever, give this lot your card details or if you do keep a very close eye on your bank account because they will take money, unauthorised and then refuse to pay it back.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am responsible for my account, I am not responsible for people taking unauthorised money from it. 

@Anonymous User Actually you are. 

A continuous payment authority or recurring payment is where you give a company permission to regularly take cash from your debit or credit card – whenever it feels it is owed money.

By providing your credit card you are effectively letting Now TV take what they believe thay are owed.

The good news is you can dispute this with your bank.  The bad news is that you may find it difficult to convince them that you are due a refund as you left this for over two years before bringing it to their attention.  60 days after a statement is the normal limit.

Best thing to do is bring up the dispute with the bank and see what they say or do and then go to the Financial Ombudsman if they don't satisfactorily deal with it. 

Read the following advice  http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That would be the case had I given my permission but as I haven't then they are at fault. I have given them permission to take 6.99 for a one off charge for 24 hours access to Sky Sports, a specific charge for a specific 24 hour period, not a recurring charge. It is clearly NowTV's error and they will remedy it or they will find themselves in court. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bill7 wrote:

That would be the case had I given my permission but as I haven't then they are at fault. I have given them permission to take 6.99 for a one off charge for 24 hours access to Sky Sports, a specific charge for a specific 24 hour period, not a recurring charge. It is clearly NowTV's error and they will remedy it or they will find themselves in court. 

@Anonymous User You will have to raise a payment dispute with your bank.  The problem with "permission" is  that it is just a courtesy.  It may have been done by someone you permitted to access the service, so you have effectively given permission.  Much like I let my family use the phone and see this oft abused statement...
You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission   
The work please is important.  Please ask them, but if you don't, well no skin off our noses.
So the best thing to do is goto My Account -> Payment Details and look at the order history tab and find out when this was first ordered.  Maybe it help identify who ordered it.
As for court, well for about £300 you could take that route and take your chances.  I suspect that they will find against you.  Last time I went near a court it cost me £1000s and I was in the right.  I don't think Now TV would be worried.  Go to your bank first.  Generally they will give you a refund if you are a good customer.  And then put it all behind you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am responsible for my account, I am not responsible for people taking unauthorised money from it. Next time someone punches you in the face don't forget to blame yourself for getting your head in the way. Fool. 

I wouldn't leave my face there for over two years, so I can't be that much of a fool.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous UserHave you ever had the Movie trial? Many people take the trial and foget to cancel before the trial runs out but it does clearly state if not cancelled it will continue after the trial and take payments. It may be possible that somebody in your home activated the trial via your box, very easy to do if you dont have a payment pin set up.

Still two years is a long time to notice it.. i keep a close eye on my bank\credit accounts. In todays world its a must really 😛

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s not my job to protect myself against fraud. How about they don’t commit fraud in the first place?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
It’s not my job to protect myself against fraud. How about they don’t commit fraud in the first place?

@Anonymous User It may not be your job, but whenever you give your credit/debit card or bank account details out it makes sense to monitor the accounts so you can involve those who can protect you as soon as possible.  Had the debit been spotted early on (in first 60 days) your bank could have refunded you.    I have a payment PIN on my account so my father doesn't idly spend a fortune on sports day passes over yuletide.  If only I had an activation PIN as well... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User@ukbobboy

Yep the exact same thoughts came across my mind but i withheld myself from posting as i could see it going round in circles and resulting in me banging my head many times 😛 😛

If you can't take responsibility to look after your accounts then well... good luck 😛

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm assuming by the asinine level of your response that you work for this crooked outfit. The amount that has been taken IS NOT THE POINT, the point is that now it has been noted it should be investigated and PAID BACK. Whether you think it's my fault that someone has ripped me off or not is not the point, putting it right certainly is. Got it now, or would you like me to draw little pictures for you?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

None of us here work for NowTV, we are customers. This is a community forum and as you chose to post here then you should expect replies from the community. Sorry if you did not like those replies. However i will cease here as from your tone i can see it is not worth continuing any longer.

@ukbobboywhat was it i said about banging my head 😛