cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to stop money being taken from me when my voucher expires?

I am currently using an entertainment voucher and I would rather buy the vouchers when want them than pay via my bank account because I might forget the date and then get money taken that I cannot afford. When I look at my account I pay nothing until my voucher expires but if I don't cancel it will automatically take money from my account which I don't want to happen. How can I set up the voucher so that I just have access to the now box entertainment package until the voucher runs out and then it just stops?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

How can I set up the voucher so that I just have access to the now box entertainment package until the voucher runs out and then it just stops?

@Anonymous User

Three ways

1. Get a prepaid card like Pockit via moneysupermarket.com.  Put £40 on it and get £5 free. Spend at least £44 to get balance down to £1 and Now TV won't be able to get any money via the Continuous Payment Authority.
  2. Find a credit/debit card with expiry date in the very near future. Once it expires, Now TV should not be able to get any money via the Continuous Payment Authority (though sometime credit card companies will still pay)
  3. Call your credit card provider and tell them you have lost the card.  They will send you a new one with a new number and Now TV won't be able to get any money via the Continuous Payment Authority.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Your type of comments and requests crop-up from time-to-time on the forum and unfortunately you're not going to get the answer you require!

NOW TV offer a monthly 'roll over' subscription service, not a 'whenever you feel like' voucher pass subscription service. Which is why all NOW TV subscribers have to have an 'active' credit or debit card registered to their account.

If you don't want or can't afford to use the NOW TV service, you will have to cancel it. That's how it is. That's the type of subscription service they offer!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello.

I bought a NowTV box and I can't activate it to access the home screen.

I only want to watch YouTube and BBCi player and other free apps.

I do not want to watch the Now TV app or its programs and contents. The problem is I can't seem to set-up my account

without the use of a payment card.

Is there anyway of completing my account without giving out payment details? If not I recommend Now TV look at allowing a "Basic" account to be set up that can activate the NowTV Box and give access to the home menu and obviously not the Now TV app. this would eliminate the customer's aggravation and allow common sense to prevail.

The retailers do not mention that a compulsory Now TV account is needed to use this hardware. which is misleading.

I hope nowTV looks into this and changes its attitude towards the set-up process.

Thanks.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you can't set up the box without​ a now account. What you can do is set up without applying pass and set payment pin. Where did you get the box? I am surprised that you got it from a retailer with out passes.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

The retailers do not mention that a compulsory Now TV account is needed to use this hardware. which is misleading.

I hope nowTV looks into this and changes its attitude towards the set-up process.

Hi @Anonymous User,

You posted pretty much the same question a couple of days ago. Which was answered here: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/Different-payment-methods/idc-p/425058/highlight/true#M6262

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would still like Now TV to look again at its sign-up policy. Compulsory payment details just to activate a cheap network streaming device is wrong.

PayPal options and e-mail verification would also be easy and nice. Anyway we can only hope.

As for the Small print on the back of the box, well that's completely useless when you buy online.

In any case why should it be "Small print" it should be large and easily visible. i.e "Compulsory credit/debit card required to use this product at all with any premium or free apps!" this should be in bold and red.

Thanks anyway.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Your type of comments and requests crop-up from time-to-time on the forum @Benny_king and unfortunately you're not going to get the answer you require!

As I mentioned in my 'linked' post, if you read the small print on the back of the NOW TV boxes it does say, and I quote: - 

"18+. UK Only. NOW TV account set-up with debit/credit card required to activate box."

The NOW TV 'branded' boxes are primarily designed for use with the NOW TV service. If all you want to do is veiw YouTube and other free app content, then you'll have to buy another type of hardware playback device. Not a highly subsidised NOW TV box.

Sufficed to say, if you buy any product and feel you have been 'miss-sold', you can take the product back and obtain a refund...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I checked out the Roku website and it seems they also ask for a debit/credit card to activate their Roku box.

I think Sky should grow up and show some leadership skills and do things differently than Roku.

Activating the box should be achievable without a debit/credit card, Sky needs to set standards

not follow them like a little tech start-up company.

I am still hoping sky derives a way to check and activate a Now tv box, perhaps by texting our phones or linking to it or something similar.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

All you need to do is cancel the voucher before the end date. There's no need to wait until the very end. Once you've applied a voucher, make sure it is working and when you are happy go straight to your My Account > My Passes page

https://account.nowtv.com/passes

and cancel the pass, making sure you follow all the steps.

You'll still get the full duration of your voucher after cancelling - cancel doesn't mean stop your voucher, it just means don't renew at the end.

After you've cancelled, just carry on watching and when your voucher reaches the end it will just stop and nothing will be charged. Then whenever you want to apply a new voucher just come back and do the same again.