cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

maximum number of devices error 6003 - only 2 devices registered

Hi, I have just set up my NOWTV box for the first time and it is saying i have reached the maximum number of devices.  The website and ipad app show only 2 registered devices and it should allow 4?

Appreciate some help.

Thanks

557 REPLIES 557
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We love hearing feedback from our customers 🙂

The device limits are in place due to rights restrictions with the studios/channels whose (live and on demand) content we provide.

At present they're not set to change, although we're always looking to improve the service so this may be something we address in future.

Thanks again,

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a shame that the service is so crippled. The app is good and the content too, but unless I can watch TV as well as my 2 kids it's no good for me. After talking friends and work colleges this seems to be an issue they had with trialling the service.  I'm going to cancel the trail for now and commit to another year with Virgin.  Hopefully 2017 we'll see this resolved.

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your post intrigued me, so I wanted to ask about your experience with other providers.

How reasonable do you find Virgin's device limits in relation to their TV content?

How often are you streaming from 3 or more devices at once on Netflix?

As Rob has said above, on NOW TV these limits are put in place at the behest of the studios, related to rights restrictions on the content we're able to show. We would like to improve the service we offer though, so I'm happy to pass this feedback along.

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How reasonable do you find Virgin's device limits in relation to their TV content?

First off I have Tivo in my living room and the kids both have a VHD box so no limitations.  I looked at replacing my Virgin package with NowTV or Sky. Now Virgin don't charge for the Tivo, it's belongs to them and if it breaks they replace it.  The two VHD boxes cost £4 a month each to rent and any channel in my main package is available to them too.  No limitations.  On top of that I have Netflix top package £2 more than standard, so can have unlimited devices and 4 ACTIVE streams.  I wanted to replace the netflix and Virgin but NowTV and Sky are nowhere near as cheap and flexible.  NowTV can only do 2 streams so no good for my house, Sky TV charge £12 for each "multiroom" plus I have to BUY the boxes too. Obviously the studios have less rules for Virgin at £4 vs £12.  As for TV Anywhere by Virgin, I'd be the first to admit it's very basic, hence the Netflix. And I also have Amazon Prime so watch a lot on that with TV stick and tablet, which is restricted to 2 live streams.  But you can download stuff and watch offline instead so no problem there.

How often are you streaming from 3 or more devices at once on Netflix?

Every other day, if kids in they tend to switch between Virgin box and Netflix on tablet/chromecast. Plus I stream most days to TV/tablet depending and where I am in the house or at friends with chromecast.

Now after trialling NowTV my kids decided we could not switch out or Virgin package for NowTV as most of the stuff they watch is not available.  So I've cancelled the subscription.  I think NowTV is more Netflix than TV service, it has channels but very limited, it's more boxsets and Sky Atlantic.  And that's the interesting thing, having Virgin which meant no Sky Atlantic would be bad but to be honest I barely watch live TV anymore so I don't miss the news shows.  If anything I watched the last Game of Thrones over two nights at friend's house with him on his NowTV package. Out f all the TV services I have I have to say Netflix is the one I like and use the most.  NowTV has the sky movies channels at a higher price to Netflix and they have the latest movies, but netflix original content is superb!  I can wait for the movies to filter down to services like netflix/amazon or even watch at friends who have Sky. 

I started all this looking to replace my Virgin service for something cheaper but ended up taking another 12 month contract for a deal with them.

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Anonymous User

I appreciate the time you've taken to write such a thoughtful response. Sorry to hear you've not chosen us at this time, but I understand your reasons and we hope to improve our service in the future (and maybe tempt you back!)

We'll always try to make things better where we can, and in this case it'll take more negotiation between ourselves, Sky in general, and the various rights holders. As you've noted, Sky Cinema especially allows us to have some great relationships with studios. Howevever, the device limitations are the current rules we're asked to abide by as an internet-based ("OTT") provider.

We'll of course let all customers know if or when this changes.

Thanks again,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why such a low device limit? Why cripple your users with a dictatorship-like device system limit. Yeah, that's right -I likened it to an oppressive regime! Yeah I know I have the freedom to leave the service, but it's pretty close to how it feels in terms of a consumer product/service -So Listen Up NowTV! There are clearly enough customers who are up in arms about this. Netflix have the right idea with their limits model.

Why not rely on streaming limits? Trying to manage devices is a nightmare, especially when relying on Chromecast that has to be triggered by another device. I've already accidentally played a little bit of a movie on my phone when trying to start the stream on a chromecast via the app. Boom! My phone just got added to the devices in the list because I happened to be fortunate enough to have a slot available and I have to forfeit my monthly device-change token that you so gratuitously give to your clearly irresponsible customers. So one mishap with the connection to a chromecast can result in hitting the entirely restrictive One-Device-Change-A-Month policy regime. It is Insane! 

Do something about it! Limit it to two streams at a time, which is the limit, anyhow -from what I understand. If that's the case, drop the device limit and offer one stream for a bit less and offer four streams for a bit more.

Seriously, if you stick you're head out of the window you may notice the frustration from a large number of users to be quite palpable -you may even notice a slowly increasing number angry peasants with pitchforks accumulating in the streets. Now TV is about flexibility, portability. Make my account truly portable, like Netflix does. They can negotiate that as part of their licensing, then why don't don't you? I'm done with reading people's problems with device limits and having my own problems too. It really is quite mind bendingly insane.

Regime Change Now TV's One-Device-Change-A-Month policy!

(Before a willing NowTV 'apologist' tells me not to post on here and send to send feedback directly to Now TV themselves, let me assure you that a copy is being sent to customer services.)

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User so long and short you want to free up the slot you accidentally used? Chat should be able to sort that for you.please contact Now chat via this link

Contact Us...

they are open 8 - midnight

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not quite. I actually want to not have to call up every time an accident happens. Plus I'm really feeling restricted in being able to watch my £10 subscription wherever I want to. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

the Now TV device management policy makes no sense. You can add four devices and watch on two at a time. All well and good. What happens if you went ahead and changed all your devices? It would take up to five months to add all four devices.

In our home we have 8 devices and we might want to change which devices we watch Now TV on.

Could somebody explain the Now TV logic on this? I have a Netflix subscription and I can add or remove devices as I please.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does the device limit for now tv have to be too restrictive?

I'm not referring to the part where you can only stream on two devices at a time. I can perfectly understand why that is.

I'm referring to the fact that I can only have up to 4 devices registered.

This is totally stupid.

In my house we have 4 games consoles, 3 laptops, 4 tablets and 2 roku sticks.

It's a right pain because I can only use nowtv on 4 of these devices due to the stup restrictions.

Netflix on the other hand has no restrictions to the number of devices. You can have as many devices as you like. They just restrict the maximum number of streams.

I can use netflix on any device I want but Now tv is totally restricted.

Is there any chance of changing this?