cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device limit and monthly wait

Hello,

I got Now TV a while back so I could watch some rugby after Sky poached it.  However, I have been barely using the entertainment month pass, so I told myself that I need to start watchng the various programmes that I have been putting off.  However, this is easier said than done with NowTV.  Ever since I got NowTV, it has been buggy and very irritating at times, but the latest bother is the device limit and inability to add more than one device a month.

I got a new Chromecast recently and now I cannot use it because the device limit is crudely implemented. I had 2 laptop devices recorded (even though I only have one laptop), so I deleted the earlier used one.  Turns out this 'device' was my compatible laptop browser (IE because Firefox is not compatible now).  So if you use Chrome - that is one device. If you use IE, that is a second device.  If you use the laptop app, that is a third device.  All from one actual device i.e. the laptop.  This is a stupid situation.

My personal circumstances are - I originally had the following:

1. IE browser

2. Phone

3. Parents' Chromecast (added recently)

4. Laptop app

So that is 4 'devices' from NowTV's point of view but it is only 3.  In order to add my own new Chromecast, I deleted one of my laptop ones but now I have to wait until July to add it because of my parents' Chromecast.  As I deleted the device linked to IE, I can only use the NowTV app on my laptop.  The NowTV app is absolutely awful as it will only play in full screen mode.  What's the point of the laptop app if it turns your laptop a glorified video player and does not allow you to do other stuff with the video in the background or minimised?

So now,  I have to wait until 1 July to add either my new Chomecast, or get IE to play NowTV again.  And then wait until 1 August to add the remaining device.  This is ridiculous and I am pretty annoyed as one of the series I wish to watch now appears to be expiring soon.  Why can't we add new devices more frequently? Or why can't NowTV allow far more switches and only allow one device to play at a time? This practice works just fine for every other on demand service.  In fact, Netflix even allows 2 streams at the same time!

And when I think about it, a Chromecast requires a phone or other attached device to play.  So in essence, the device is my phone and not the Chromecast.  So I actually only have my phone and laptop monopolising 4 'device' slots!

Is there any way this situation can be sorted out please?  I'd like to be able to watch things before they expire.

Thanks from a frustrated customer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@4268 wrote:

@Tony-D can you help? @Anonymous User Tony is one of team. He may be able to free up a slot change for you.

@4268 @Anonymous User Should be sorted for you know, thanks 🙂

P.s if you get a wee survey after this i'd love if you could fill it in lol

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you don't need to have the phone as a device to use the Chromecast. You just cast before selecting content.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

As you may or may not be aware, this forum offers a dedicated Chromecast sub-section. Which contains various posts on how to 'cast' without your Chromecast device being recognised as a device 😉

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. But unless you know (or even suspect that) something is possible, you wouldn't look for it Smiley Wink

Still have the fundamental issue of the stupid rules limiting legitimate use of the service. I am not at home for a bit and would like to use my laptop and do some work.  But I can't Smiley Sad

Thanks

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tony-D can you help? @Anonymous User Tony is one of team. He may be able to free up a slot change for you.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@4268 wrote:

@4268 @Anonymous User Should be sorted for you know, thanks 🙂

P.s if you get a wee survey after this i'd love if you could fill it in lol

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My apologies for the delay in responding.  I had a small personal crisis occur Smiley Sad

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help and for sorting this out for me.  I can now view on my browser again.  I will be sure to look for the information about playing through ChromeCast without using up a device slot.

Thanks again.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User just click the cast button as soon as you go into app rather than selecting content first. Hope you are ok after your personal matter.