cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bought 'new' Now TV Box - found other users info

Hi.... Today, 18 November 2017, I bought a 'new'  Now TV Smart Box from John Lewis. It was a Black Friday deal and included a 3 months entertainment pass.

After getting it home and opening the package (it appeared to be a sealed box), the first thing I noticed was that the plastic covering from the main unit was already removed (found it crumpled up in the bottom of the packing). I was a little suspicious, but carried on and set the unit up on my TV.

The unit wouldn't connect to my Wi-Fi at first ... it kept saying that my password was wrong, so I went to the section to reset and re-enter my password and eventually the password was accepted and the box fired up into th enormal Now TV menu (I already have a standard Now TV box).

It was only then that I spotted another users information (email account) and it was clear that this wasn't a 'new' box, but most likely a return item!

I reset the box back to factory defaults, which of course wiped out all the information, including the previous users details from the box.

I'm almost certainly going to return the unit back to John Lewis and ask for a NEW unit, or a full refund, but I'm concerned about the previous users details and any possible issues, given that all their account details were embedded in the box.

I wonder if anything similar has happened to any forum members... any advice/info would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sounds to me that John Lewis have mistakenly given you a previous returned customer NowTV smart box.

Was the 3 month voucher code silver strip card scratched off showing the code ?

Not sure what the policy is between the Retailers and NowTV for returned goods for any reason ?

The previous customer should have factory reset the box to wipe off & remove all their details from the box (like any electronic devices such has mobile phones, PC etc etc you would send back to the Retailer).

I would definitely take the box back and lodge a complaint towards John Lewis.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi... thanks for the reply.

Just a quick update first.... Have taken the original unit back to John Lewis this afternoon. They did not quibble and took back the unit and gave me a new one (I've checked it and it is indeed a fresh, new box... went through an update etc. on first powering on  🙂 ) .

I explained that the box was sealed and that the 3 months pass was intact and the silver cover had not been scratched off. They were a little surprised and they commented that usually, a unit is returned after someone has used the pass code in the box. In this case, this did not happen.

I asked if they thought it would be a return unit, but they were not sure, given that the pass had not been used and I had told them that I had to break the seal, to open the original packaging. All a bit odd.

I expressed my concern that the original users details were still embedded in the box. I explained that I had returned the unit to factory settings, before taking it back to them.  I asked if they'd ensure that all the information on the unit was now indeed cleared. They said they would do that.

Other than having to make two trips to a busy shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon (you'd think it was Xmas next week with all the stuff in the shops!  😉 ), I'm pleased with the end result.

The now TV Smart Box and 3 months entertainment pass was £19.99 as part of their Black Friday offers.

I have the smaller Now TV box and have to say that I'm quite impressed with the Now TV Smart Box... obviously theres all the extra stuff for the Freeview TV channels, but the menu system is a lot different on the Smart box.

Thanks for the reply.... cheers