cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igotscamed
Advocate

now tv will add boost without your knowledge

i bought now tv just over a week ago (8days) I paid the start up fee of  £6.99 for the 6month promotion. I didn't know of the quality of the player until after I bought it  (spoiler it's god awful) i didn't know what a boost was until it appeared on my bill with another payment of £9.99.

I have not done anything other than play one show (Barry) but some how i bought the movie package and a booster, no one has access to this account other than me i have no clue as to how i have bought something i have not even seen let alone clicked on, this is a scam i have been charge for products i didn't know existed let alone clicked on. If u have not bought this then this is your warning do not buy the customer service is also one of the worst I have came across i cannot get a refund since there nowbot is stuck in limbo and no number to contact them. 

if this is seen by customer service I WANT A REFUND!!!!.

6 REPLIES 6
Saint1976
Elite 3

@igotscamed when you signed up to the 6 month offer, the promotion contained a free trial of cinema and boost memberships which revert to paid memberships after the free trail period if not cancelled.

It was up to you to read the terms and remove the unwanted memberships from the basket on the payments page if you didn't want them.

See this thread for a full explanation and a link on how to speak to an operative over live chat so you can request a refund.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Charged-for-Boast-and-Cinema-without-my-approval/m-p/...

Scammd

You CAN NOT advertise the word ONLY 6.99 then because it isn’t only . Why would anyone read fine prints that’s not anywhere on the screen at checkout so must be hidden away in an email attachment of 100 pages of terms and conditions check through every word when the add sais only . Clearly state the added costs or take away the word only and add on the costs of cinema and boost to your add ! 

Scammd

It’s a scam and it’s sneaky and the company bloody well knows it 

RoyB
Legend

@Scammd 

I have been a fierce opponent of the way that Cinema and Boost were auto-added to the authorisation by which people took up this offer for Entertainment, but I believe they now have to be clearly and explicitly chosen. Which means they are no longer sneaky.

I did try to take up the offer, to see what it looks like now, but I’m not eligible for it, so I couldn’t. Nearly tied Now up in knots though 😛

“It looks like you're already enjoying awesome TV content

We have removed Cinema Membership, Cinema Membership 7 day free trial, Boost 7 day free trial, Boost, OF_016812, Cinema Membership, Cinema Membership 7 day free trial, Boost 7 day free trial & Boost from your basket”

However, I can see improving the checkout process hasn’t been enough to stop you misunderstanding pretty much the whole offer. So let’s look at the wording and see if it’s still misleading in some way(s).

Here’s the offer you took up:-
(if it isn’t, and you have a screenshot of a different offer, please post it in a Reply, though)

IMG_1158.jpeg

and here’s the extracted text (my emphases):-

“ENTERTAINMENT 6 Month Saver Save 30% when you join for longer

£6.99 a month

• Unmissable TV shows plus the biggest blockbusters
  • 6 month minimum term
  • Included: 7 day free trial of Cinema and Boost - cancel anytime

After the 6 month minimum term Entertainment Membership auto-renews monthly at £9.99 a month, unless cancelled. Cancel anytime effective at the end of the minimum term.

New Cinema and Boost members. After your 7 day free trials, memberships auto-renew monthly at £9.99 for Cinema and £6 for Boost. You can cancel anytime.”

So the things you thought weren’t there are there, they just came below ‘Claim Offer’. There's nothing in the offer that isn’t described in the text, nothing hidden away in unspecified T&Cs.

And anyway, you are now given ample opportunity not to select the free trials of Cinema and Boost at all, as you claim the offer. But if you do take them, it’s made clear above that they turn into paid subscriptions after the 7-day free trials.

And there is no free month of Entertainment here, which you thought there was, and nothing I can see to even be misunderstood to be that.

Could the wording be improved? A little. I’d say ‘trials’ in the line that begins ‘Included’, to make it as clear there as it is lower down that these are two separate trials, and I might expand ‘Cancel anytime’ to have ‘including during the free trial’. But hey, it says ‘cancel anytime’, and that’s true, and it wouldn’t alter the meaning.

Finally, though, have you talked to Live Chat? It sounds like you have, and got nowhere; but if you haven’t, try them, as described a couple of posts above, as they are usually pretty amenable to customers who have misunderstood what they signed up to.
Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Scammd

I have had the same happen to me they are so sneaky. 

they say ONLY 6.99 a month first month free and cancel cinema and boost anytime emplying  it’s included in the price advertised of 6.99 . 

me like yourself didn’t care for boost or cinema and only wanted to watch one show . Then all these bills came out. 

I was told it clearly states cancel cinema and boost anytime . 

I explained that’s not notifying the customer at all . If they was honest it would say 23 A MONTH for all package but can cancel anytime and have a package of 6.99 

or it should state along with cancel cinema and boost anytime otherwise a automatic add on price of 9.99 and 6 will be added . But they don’t because they scam. 

ghey should never automatically add anything they should sell what’s advertised clearly and it clearly said ONLY - definition of only means nothing else just this ! So of course all of us are scammed to think only that will be took a month. 

I’ll be reporting to trading standards I have screenshots of the adds and I won’t let it drop to many good people will be getting this scam and it’s illegal and stealing we trust them with our details and they abuse that trust I too will be cancelling 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Scammd 

It is cancel anytime for cinema and boost. The entertainment is the 6 month saver. They applied a 7 day free trial of boost and cinema which is then the respected prices after the trial. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help