cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

calls saying that your internet service is to be cancelled

I keep getting calls saying that my broadband will be cancelled is anyone else getting the same?

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

Ask them who your internet is with. They won’t know.

But if they make a lucky guess (BT is the most likely choice) , ask them what your account number is. They won’t know that if they aren’t genuine. Which of course they aren’t.

I used to ask the ‘Microsoft’ scammers what my IP address was.

The real low blow is to ask if their mother knows what they do for a living, and if so is she proud of her son doing that? Messes with their heads and spoils their day.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User 

Hey Roy

I roughly used to get one or two of these scam calls every week, sometimes even from a pre-recorded call. So when I get a call from these scammers, and they announce they're calling from BT, I usually say, "you've made a mistake, I'm not with BT, thanks for calling, goodbye".

That usually has them stumped for a while.

As you rightly say, the scammers don't know anything about you and are taking a punt that they'll find somebody gullible enough to give them money.

BTW, I heard on Rip Off Britain this morning that the scam market, including banking scams, is worth over a billion pounds a year in the UK alone. 

It's no wonder these crooks have an industry dedicated to stealing money from people, it's very lucrative, there's zero chance of being caught and the outlay, to set themselves up, is very small compared to the massive stolen returns they can make.

UK Bob