cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

been charged for 19 months without knowing

I started a free trial to watch a movie in March 2021, I was careful to immediately cancel the free trial so that I wouldn't forget. As you can probably guess from the title, this wasn't the end of the story.

I found out today that in order to watch one film, NowTV had activated no less than 3 different memberships on my account. I had absolutely no idea about this at the time, the logs will show I cancelled what I thought was my membership immediately after starting it. Don't get me wrong, the service worked fine, but there was a single film I wanted to watch and the offer timing lined up.

I've gone through the laborious process of explaining this to the online chat person, but in the end all I got was a scripted:
"I would like to inform you that NOW is a non-contract services which allows member to dip in and out of the services as they wish therefore, we rely on the members to manage their own personal accounts."

copied and pasted a few times.

Now before you jump on the bandwagon to agree, that I "should've read more thoroughly", I have subscriptions to multiple other streaming services that I'm happy with and do not operate in this way. I.e. I have one membership with Netflix, not three, and so on.

I find this business practice extremely misleading and it almost feels like the free trial with three memberships activated simultaneously is a trick - with the hope that people like me don't "fully" cancel, and end up becoming passive income for a service they've forgotten about and have zero intention of using.

So my question is, has anyone on here been around this song and dance and actually managed to get a refund? Or will I only ever receive the same copy paste "you should've read the fine print", which will mark NowTV as a shady company in my eyes from now on.

I will warn friends and family to stay away regardless as this service is a mess.

tldr: NowTV activated multiple memberships on my account instead of the single trial I thought I was signing up for, and have now charged over £200 for watching a single film.

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Keep pestering live chat until you can get a resolution your happy with. 
In the mean time your best to put a payment PIN on your account to prevent any further memberships starting without your consent.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/change-pin-settings

Alternatively you can email support using the address in the below picture.

440CDA26-E272-4B9F-ADB6-F72EC357D26F.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

We should all check our bank statements every month, and query anything that we don’t expect to be there.

This isn’t just Now advice (despite what it says in my sig, which is focussed on Now), it’s life advice.

But you are not the first to be burned by a Now multi-membership trial, despite this no doubt being stated in the small print, so in the absence of Now making this much, much, clearer at the time, I think you are morally entitled to wring their heartstrings to get a refund, so keep at it.

Now can see that you haven’t used these memberships for 20 months; what are they thinking?

I think that Now ought to alert any customer who has a membership that has not been used for, say, three months, so this sort of thing can’t happen in future, at least to anyone who reads their email.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Here's the official complaints link:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

Although I have to say that I am a wee bit bemused that you have only just noticed you have been being charged over such a long a period?