cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Won’t accept my credit card and I’ve tried 3 , very frustrating I bought the stick for €40 in a shop

Bought a stick in tescos for €40 with 2 month entertainment pass and when signing up it won’t accept my credit card for future payments and so I tried 3 different ones and the same message saying they can’t be authorise , all are full of money in date etc ... very frustrating don’t know where I stand but want a refund now as this is a disgrace 

8 REPLIES 8
Matty999
Scholar

So you've paid for the stick in Euros? 

My guess is you may have set up an account on the Nowtv UK site and it won't accept an Irish credit card. If this is the case try going to the Nowtv Ireland site and set up an account there.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Matty999 

Or vice versa. If you bought a Stick in Eire and brought it back to the UK, then it won’t work here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Bloody scam really let people pay for the stick in a shop then won’t accept
your card for future payments when it says on the box they accept visa
debit and MasterCard but nothing about prepaid MasterCard. Or where your
card is from country wise .. see how long they last , I want my €40 back I
spent in Tesco 😡 ##- Please type your reply above
this line -##
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Where did you buy the Stick? (In or from what country?)

What country are you trying to set it up in?

What country is the issuing bank of your prepaid card?

What currency is the account conducted in?

I am assured by @starman73 that prepaid cards are accepted by NowTV.

But we are still trying to ascertain if you have fallen foul of the less than frictionless border between NowTV IE and NowTV UK.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought it in Tesco Ireland and only would be using it in Ireland and not the uk . My prepaid MasterCard is Irish but was informed by now tv in an email an hour ago they don’t accept prepaid cards which should be mentioned on the box the stick is sold but it’s not ... anyway took stick back to Tescos and got a refund and by the speed I got the refund probably not the first as the girl just opened the till as soon as she saw the box ... deffo a very misleading company who seem to be out just to scam and con people.... greedy ###### ! 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

That’s not very nice.

What else should NowTV say on the box - that they don’t accept cowrie shells or bitcoins?

The thing about prepaid cards is that you have to keep them loaded, unlike a Debit or Credit Card that is closely linked to a source of funds, something that NowTV is looking for. And they don’t accept Direct Debits, either, even though they are that, because they want CPAs only.

And NowTV aren’t out to scam or con people - it would be a damn silly company that took to rooking people a few quid at a time, not least because they are a subsidiary of Sky, which has a reputation to protect.

You may be cross because you don’t have the means of payment that NowTV are looking for - really, you don’t have  credit or debit card at all? - but the Stick is not a bad way of making a dumb TV smart, for a handful of euros, even if you never subscribe to a single NowTV pass.

And if you had subscribed, you would have found the offers entirely genuine - there really is all that Sky content just waiting to be watched, for that one monthly payment.

No division into free content and stuff you have to pay extra for, a prime example of how some streaming services operate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix accepts it , amazon accepts it and I’ve booked airline flights with it and considering I already paid €40 in tescos for a 2 month entertainment pass they should surely cover you for that 2 months and then if you want to keep going you give them your credit/debit card details at that stage , now wouldn’t that be a fair way ? Maybe scam or con is a bit harsh but misleading is more appropriate ! I’ve seen other now tv forums and I’m not the first and certainly not the last . My prepaid credit card says MasterCard and people with debit cards can be just as likely to have no funds left in theirs ... I’ve been paying for Netflix for years on mine and never missed a payment .. 

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Is that an Amazon subscription, or are you talking about one-off purchases? In which case they, like the airlines, either get the money for the one-off purchase or they don’t.

Only Netflix, of the examples you list, will be looking for a CPA (Continuous Payment Authority), as NowTV does.

Here’s some stuff about CPAs.

While it is true that you can run out of money on a debit card, if you do you have run out of money period, so you are in deep doo-doos with everyone.

A prepaid card not so much.

But NowTV’s business model is predicated on ongoing subscriptions; the two-month discounted pass is a lead-in to that, so NowTV want to get the financials set up ready.

As I said before, I didn’t think NowTV accepted any prepaid cards, but @starman73 gave a couple of examples where they do. Maybe this was a mistake or an oversight, maybe NowTV didn’t recognise them as prepaid - who knows?

But I do know my CaxtonFX prepaid euros card comes with all sorts of caveats about what you can and can’t, or should and shouldn’t do with them; for instance, they say don’t buy petrol, as garages often reserve a much larger amount on the card than the actual cost.

I don’t know if you’ve found this at all?