cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve128
Advocate

Re: Who’s stupid idea was it to have a mandatory PIN?

I believe most streaming services will have to do this to be compliant with Ofcom rules:
see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

These rules relate to the presentation of films rated 15 and above before the 21:00 watershed.

They seem to be restricted to live material, perhaps on the dubious grounds that it is only passive exposure that matters, and children can’t operate on demand services.

Do we know if NowTV is requiring a PIN to watch films rated below that during the day, and/or to watch any films at all after 21:00? 

Because I see nothing in these rules that requires this.

I also note that one definition missing from the PDF is ‘parent’, to which the document makes frequent reference without ever considering the anomaly that many of the ‘viewers’ to whom these child-protecting rules apply, are not parents, but still have to set PINs all the time, in case a child wanders in from somewhere.

The document hardly touches on what we might all think is this quite important consideration, except to hide behind an absurd suggestion from BT that we ‘wouldn’t mind’ setting PINs.

Well, thanks a bunch BT; we do mind.

And NowTV shouldn’t be demanding PINs under any circumstances where they aren’t necessary, as above.

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
Brian15
Advocate

Turned on my now tv box , was asked to enter a pin , my box is one of the older generations ( white ) , switching channels , enter a pin , I am the only person in the house , why . The message desk was no good , you have a white box so you must enter in a pin for every channel. This is a waste of time.

Gavwad
Scholar

Worst bit for me is that for those entering the PIN using the left and right arrow buttons on a Now TV Stick, Box or Roku device (remotes without number buttons) means that anyone in the room can see the PIN. My 8 year old now knows the PIN just by watching the screen!  Daft!!

0 Thanks
Oceano
Mentor

I want to be able to change channel without entering a pin every time, that's beyond ridiculous.

I'm cancelling right now.

0 Thanks