cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Who’s stupid idea was it to have a mandatory PIN?

I am wondering what twit thought it was a good idea to request a parental pin every time you wanted to switch channels? It’s a stupid idea that is badly implemented. If  NOW TV want to be a  respected company then better parental controls would keep more customers.

Change or improve this feature please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am wondering what twit thought it was a good idea to request a parental pin every time you wanted to switch channels? It’s a stupid idea that is badly implemented. If  NOW TV want to be a  respected company then better parental controls would keep more customers.

Not sure I understand what exactly do you mean parental pin requested when you change channels ? I assume you mean the Live channels if I am right what are you using to watch Now Tv ? I use the app on my LG Smart Tv and have never been asked for a pin in the 4 months I have subscribed to Now Tv 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure I understand what exactly do you mean parental pin requested when you change channels ? I assume you mean the Live channels if I am right what are you using to watch Now Tv ? I use the app on my LG Smart Tv and have never been asked for a pin in the 4 months I have subscribed to Now Tv 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m trying to watch Live TV on my Apple TV 4K and it’s asking for a parental passcode! I’ve never set it and without it I can’t do anything.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I’m trying to watch Live TV on my Apple TV 4K and it’s asking for a parental passcode! I’ve never set it and without it I can’t do anything.

In that case I can only tell you it is down to Apple who are legendary in the we control everything you do with our product. Another suggestion that will confirm if I am right do you have another way of trying to watch Live channels (Ps4 , Xbox ,Smart Tv) that way you can find out if Apple are to blame.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, they have made it mandatory for specific devices, you can see the list here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

It's a nightmare. Every time you change a live channel, you get prompted for a pin code. The user experience is woeful. Never mind, I don't have kids and none ever have access to our TV.  It's not NowTV/Sky's job to gatekeep parental responsibility.

I'm an adult, and I should be able to choose what content I consume without arbitrary restriction. If they allowed the account holder to disable the pin globally, or set it per device, I'd be happy. This implementation is beyond ridiculous and quite frankly, inslulting.

I cancelled my subscription this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same for me. I have been using the Entertainment channel for several years on an AppleTV (Gen 3) and today id the first time I have been asked for a Parental PIN. If they don't sort it then I'm leaving.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah same problem here, please get rid of this or I’ll shortly be cancelling also, absolutely pointless & stupid that you can’t disable it...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe most streaming services will have to do this to be compliant with Ofcom rules:
see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection

RoyB
Legend

These rules relate to the presentation of films rated 15 and above before the 21:00 watershed.

They seem to be restricted to live material, perhaps on the dubious grounds that it is only passive exposure that matters, and children can’t operate on demand services.

Do we know if NowTV is requiring a PIN to watch films rated below that during the day, and/or to watch any films at all after 21:00? 

Because I see nothing in these rules that requires this.

I also note that one definition missing from the PDF is ‘parent’, to which the document makes frequent reference without ever considering the anomaly that many of the ‘viewers’ to whom these child-protecting rules apply, are not parents, but still have to set PINs all the time, in case a child wanders in from somewhere.

The document hardly touches on what we might all think is this quite important consideration, except to hide behind an absurd suggestion from BT that we ‘wouldn’t mind’ setting PINs.

Well, thanks a bunch BT; we do mind.

And NowTV shouldn’t be demanding PINs under any circumstances where they aren’t necessary, as above.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Worst bit for me is that for those entering the PIN using the left and right arrow buttons on a Now TV Stick, Box or Roku device (remotes without number buttons) means that anyone in the room can see the PIN. My 8 year old now knows the PIN just by watching the screen!  Daft!!