cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MartynWhite

Who’s stupid idea was it to have a mandatory PIN?

I am wondering what twit thought it was a good idea to request a parental pin every time you wanted to switch channels? It’s a stupid idea that is badly implemented. If  NOW TV want to be a  respected company then better parental controls would keep more customers.

Change or improve this feature please.

13 Replies
Champcar59
Scholar 3

Re: Who’s stupid idea was it to have a mandatory PIN?

@MartynWhite wrote:

I am wondering what twit thought it was a good idea to request a parental pin every time you wanted to switch channels? It’s a stupid idea that is badly implemented. If  NOW TV want to be a  respected company then better parental controls would keep more customers.

Change or improve this feature please.

Not sure I understand what exactly do you mean parental pin requested when you change channels ? I assume you mean the Live channels if I am right what are you using to watch Now Tv ? I use the app on my LG Smart Tv and have never been asked for a pin in the 4 months I have subscribed to Now Tv 

0 Thanks
Charlie73
Advocate

I’m trying to watch Live TV on my Apple TV 4K and it’s asking for a parental passcode! I’ve never set it and without it I can’t do anything.

0 Thanks
Champcar59
Scholar 3

@Charlie73 wrote:

I’m trying to watch Live TV on my Apple TV 4K and it’s asking for a parental passcode! I’ve never set it and without it I can’t do anything.

In that case I can only tell you it is down to Apple who are legendary in the we control everything you do with our product. Another suggestion that will confirm if I am right do you have another way of trying to watch Live channels (Ps4 , Xbox ,Smart Tv) that way you can find out if Apple are to blame.

0 Thanks
northerngit
Advocate

Yeah, they have made it mandatory for specific devices, you can see the list here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

It's a nightmare. Every time you change a live channel, you get prompted for a pin code. The user experience is woeful. Never mind, I don't have kids and none ever have access to our TV.  It's not NowTV/Sky's job to gatekeep parental responsibility.

I'm an adult, and I should be able to choose what content I consume without arbitrary restriction. If they allowed the account holder to disable the pin globally, or set it per device, I'd be happy. This implementation is beyond ridiculous and quite frankly, inslulting.

I cancelled my subscription this afternoon.

have they included this feature today? because I am now suddenly being asked to enter parental pin every time I change channels. This is so incomvenient and I dont have any kids

0 Thanks
Jenks-1001
Mentor

I’m having the same issue with every live channel. Seam to be only affecting the Apple TV app. That said the Apple TV app is long overdue a update!

Raye
Observer

Get rid of this feature and quick!!! Why force people to use a pin?   Talk about off putting

0 Thanks
Porsche911
Advocate

Same for me. I have been using the Entertainment channel for several years on an AppleTV (Gen 3) and today id the first time I have been asked for a Parental PIN. If they don't sort it then I'm leaving.

0 Thanks
Manincognito
Advocate

Yeah same problem here, please get rid of this or I’ll shortly be cancelling also, absolutely pointless & stupid that you can’t disable it...

0 Thanks