cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What do I need to check before signing up for broadband?

I am wanting to switch to broadband and TV with Now but am currently on Virgin six can’t use the switching service.

Do I need to check other than service availability in my area anything before signing up and cancelling Virgin? 

If you could answer the specific questions below then that would be great:

1) Have extra line rental costs now disappeared? I have been on Virgin for ages so last time I looked at other broadband you had to pay line rental but this is now just included in your bill right?

2) Is there anything I need to check about my actual property to make sure I won’t incur extra installation costs? E.g., the phone socket says Virgin on it - how would I know I have an actual land line?

I know these are extra cautious questions and probably it’s fine but I’m a single mum, working from home on lockdown, with a toddler and if I have to start chasing something around that should otherwise be simple then I will lose my mind!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Telephone line rental is now part and included in the price of your NowTV Broadband & Telephone package.

If you haven't got a BT Telephone line with a BT master telephone socket then you will need a new telephone line installed where the installation is included and there is no extra charge from my understanding.

Your Virgin telephone socket and fibre cabling is not compatible.

There may be one major stumbling block at the moment where BT Openreach who undertake the work for all ISP's that use their infrastructure will not currently undertake new home installation due to their current COVID-19 social distancing policy (don't know the latest situation with Openreach company policy for home visits).

Last time i heard NowTV will not be taking Broadband orders which involves any home installation until July (maybe send NowTV a Tweet or email them).

Also when switching from Virgin you need to contact Virgin close to the switch over date to cancel their service where this isn't done by NowTV on behalf of the customer who is switching over from Virgin (there some information in this linked guide article below).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-switch-to-now-broadband 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Telephone line rental is now part and included in the price of your NowTV Broadband & Telephone package.

If you haven't got a BT Telephone line with a BT master telephone socket then you will need a new telephone line installed where the installation is included and there is no extra charge from my understanding.

Your Virgin telephone socket and fibre cabling is not compatible.

There may be one major stumbling block at the moment where BT Openreach who undertake the work for all ISP's that use their infrastructure will not currently undertake new home installation due to their current COVID-19 social distancing policy (don't know the latest situation with Openreach company policy for home visits).

Last time i heard NowTV will not be taking Broadband orders which involves any home installation until July (maybe send NowTV a Tweet or email them).

Also when switching from Virgin you need to contact Virgin close to the switch over date to cancel their service where this isn't done by NowTV on behalf of the customer who is switching over from Virgin (there some information in this linked guide article below).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-switch-to-now-broadband 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s really useful thanks @schnapps @I have cancelled Virgin and will sign up to Now if I can, if there’s a delay I can get by with my phone’s internet/a work dongle for a little while.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Looking on Openreach website it looks like they are now under going home visits again according to this link.

https://www.openreach.com/covid-19-coronavirus 

Hopefully if they haven't got a big back log of work, then the date of July that i previously mentioned is now not relevant.

Anyway i hope your switch over goes smoothly and to plan.

Stay Safe 😷.