cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What costs and what doesn't?

New to now tv and have a one month movie pass. Nervous to watch things like the sex and the city box sets in case I get charged without realising. Will I always get notified if I try to watch something I don't have a pass for? 

What exactly can I watch for free? Are all the apps free? Is sky sports news hq an app or a subscription? There doesn't seem to be a definitive list anywhere. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You can manage your nowtv passes and keep a track of them by going to My Account on here and selecting Passes & Vouchers.

If you apply a voucher or purchase a nowtv pass then if you wish to prevent the passes from auto renewing each month, then cancel the pass and you can watch the pass until the next due payment date.

Should you cancel your pass, the good thing with nowtv is that you can restart a pass any time you like or apply a new voucher code.

When you haven't got a  relevant nowtv pass and try watching some nowtv content you should get a message on screen saying something like buy pass to watch (can't remember the exact message).

If you leave your bank card details on the nowtv system, you can watch all the main Apps for free such has YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

If you haven't got an active entertainment, cinema, kids, sports, Hayu pass then you won't have access to The Sky Sports News HQ App.

Would also recommend adding a payment pin to your account by going to My Account > Settings & Pins.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You can manage your nowtv passes and keep a track of them by going to My Account on here and selecting Passes & Vouchers.

If you apply a voucher or purchase a nowtv pass then if you wish to prevent the passes from auto renewing each month, then cancel the pass and you can watch the pass until the next due payment date.

Should you cancel your pass, the good thing with nowtv is that you can restart a pass any time you like or apply a new voucher code.

When you haven't got a  relevant nowtv pass and try watching some nowtv content you should get a message on screen saying something like buy pass to watch (can't remember the exact message).

If you leave your bank card details on the nowtv system, you can watch all the main Apps for free such has YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

If you haven't got an active entertainment, cinema, kids, sports, Hayu pass then you won't have access to The Sky Sports News HQ App.

Would also recommend adding a payment pin to your account by going to My Account > Settings & Pins.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps

I'm  really not great with technology so I just want to make sure I can't get charged for anything without agreeing to it first. I'll add a pin as well

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you add the payment pin on your account (as per my above post suggestion) then if you mistakenly click on any nowtv content where you haven't got a nowtv pass, it will ask you for your four digit pin number.

Also, if you cancel any of your passes don't just click the cancel button under My Account > Passes & Orders (like a lot of people mistakenly do) and ensure you follow all the step by step on screen cancellation instructions until you get the green thumbs up message that you have successfully cancelled.

If the pass cancel process goes through it should say by going back to Passes & Vouchers and an email notification should also be sent to you within 3 hours.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps ah i just saw this. I've added a pin and now tried to watch sex and the city. It asks me if I want to start a 14 day trial or cancel. That's perfect, I don't want to pay for anything I have not signed up for. 

You said all the apps are free? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Another bit of advice DON'T setup multiple accounts to take advantage of free trial's or discounted offers for new customers and just stick with one nowtv account only.

Reading on different forums and websites you be surprised how many people have multiple accounts taking advantage of the loop hole in the nowtv system for new customers and then get their knickers in a twist and can't keep track or manage their passes / accounts properly. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you haven't taken advantage of the free 14 day entertainment trial on your account, then if you wish you can start the trial at anytime (make sure you use your 14 day trial before adding a voucher).

Just remember, that if you don't want to continue with the entertainment pass after the 14 day trial that you cancel before the trial expires.

I always cancel early when it's still fresh in my mind and don't worry even if you cancel early you still get the full 14 day duration of the free trial.

Another bit of advance, never try cancelling a pass on the last day \ renewal payment date because the nowtv automation system might disable the cancel button on your account while nowtv are in the process of taking money (always cancel early in advance).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This guide might help with your question.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-active-pass-to-use-now-tv-box-stick

Most of the main popular Apps are free from the ones that i have used, except the nowtv App where obviously you need a nowtv pass, Sky Sports HQ App where you need an active nowtv pass to watch, Sky Store (which is a separate service where you need to setup an account from the Sky Store website and it works on a payment for rentals or purchases) Sky Sports Box Office for premium sporting events from a third party which is a pay per view).

Here's a full list of Apps on the nowtv boxes and stick (i believe the older white box will be missing some of the Apps).

http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/apps-on-the-now-tv-box-stick-uk-june-18.pdf

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Natalie

You asked, "Nervous to watch things like the sex and the city box sets in case I get charged without realising. Will I always get notified if I try to watch something I don't have a pass for?

First off, you don't get charged by the programme/show/film you watch but by the type of Now TV pass you have, and the passes come in various monthly lengths e.g. 1, 2, 3 and sometimes even 6 and 12 months.

OK, there are now, I believe, 5 types of passes, and they are:

Entertainment Pass - This allows you to watch any programme, boxset, series, etc. So if you have this pass you can watch "Sex and the City" without any problems whatsoever.

Cinema Pass - You will be able to watch any feature film on Now TV.

Sports Pass - You can watch any sports event, except some boxing and other special events which will require a one-off pass.

Kids Pass - This is specially geared towards shows aimed at pre-teens.

Hayu - Recently introduced reality-TV pass.

I also understand that Netflix with be coming to Now TV later this year, and I am guessing this it will also require it's own special pass when it arrives.

But please note, if you do not have a current pass for the types of shows you watch then Now TV will take a monthly subscription, per type of show, from you credit card or bank account, i.e. whichever account you signed up with.

Hopes this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Bob

So, I only have the cinema pass at the moment, but say I accidentally (or my partner) watch a box set that is covered by the entertainment pass? Now tv won't alert me to that, they'll just let me watch it and then charge me?

They'll charge me whatever the monthly cost of that pass is. So, by watching a programme from a category I don't have a pass for, it automatically signs me up for that pass?

Am I right?

This doesn't sound great for a person without great techno knowledge!!