cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Warning - Deliberately misleading out of contract options

Just a head's up for anyone who gets an email telling them they are out of contract. I received the following email (quoted word for word below).

"Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £25.50 a month.

Or

Pick from one of the packages available to you below."

I did nothing and they have started billing me at £43.50 per month.  It's seems that an £18 per month discount has expired. However this discount was described in the grey box detailing the "packages available to you below". There is nothing about this before the "or" in the options available to me. There's no asterisk or anything to indicate that further terms apply to continuing my membership at £25.50.

This is, at best, extremely misleading.

Customer service did call me back, but gave no logical explanation. The best re-contracting price they could offer me is similar to the competition. The lady talked over me with a barrage of "discount this and discount that" rather than listening and answering my questions. I had similar at contract expiry last year. I have put in a written complaint through their webform and await the response. If there is no resolution I think I'll be moving from this duplicitous company.

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, you are not the first to fall foul of this.

You do get one further month at £25.50, but after that, the price goes rapidly north.

This is something that Now should make a great deal clearer, lest they be accused of being unethical, as well as misleading.

If all else fails, those thing on the ends of your two legs are for voting with 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
bsl3467
Advocate

I have also fallen victim to this exact same miscommunication! I opted to 'Do nothing' and keep the same price, but then a month later my bill was doubled, from £23.50, to £46.50! When questioned, they told me to scroll right down to the bottom of the 'do nothing' email and look where it says my current discount is ending in March. All incredibly confusing and misleading! You would think they would have rectified all this by now, considering people have been complaining about it since last year, but nope! 

I did manage to claw the money back, and sort out a new reasonable price. But it was a complete faff. They wouldn't deal with it over email, and told me I had to ring up. 

ViolettaMC
Advocate

@Anonymous User the same has happened to me and no there was no ‘if you do nothing it will cost you £x’ line in the email. now TV have admitted this is confusing and will be amended but don’t seem to grasp that charging me, a loyal customer, double with no prior notice is shameful tactics. I have cancelled with them to cut my loses. I had to buy two extenders for the house as their signal is poor so not value for money even at the £23.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ViolettaMC 

You replied to someone who isn’t on the forum anymore. 

NOW has never offered extenders. In fact the router is all they provided and that was well known to be poor.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
MCN
Scholar

I don't use Now for internet, but the people I do use will always give a deal, if you forget and renewal happens at full price they will happily apply a deal retrospectively, it sounds like now do the opposite, if they like to be awkward, time to look further.