cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unsolicited and unwanted 14 day Hayu trial applied to my account

I've received an email informing me that I've been signed up to a 14 day trial of Hayu after which I'll be charged £3.99 per month.

Since when has it been reasonable to sign-up your customers for a service when you haven't asked them if they even want that service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you taken out an entertainment offer recently? There is one running currently which comes bundled with 3 months free Hayu. If you haven't then it's definitely bad practice by NowTV to 'give' you something you haven't explicitly requested.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you get this sorted? I have the same

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you taken out an entertainment offer recently? There is one running currently which comes bundled with 3 months free Hayu. If you haven't then it's definitely bad practice by NowTV to 'give' you something you haven't explicitly requested.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Hi End

You may not know this but Now TV has done this before, they found all the inactive accounts and remotely activated them.  Now the problem with this is that people who were on holiday, the elderly, the sick and those with a variety of personal problems suddenly found they had active accounts they did not activate or want.

There was an enormous backlash about this and Now TV's cavalier attitude, so much so that Now TV abandoned that policy, albeit temporarily. 

Now, however, it seems that Now TV has reinstated that policy of remotely starting accounts on dormant accounts but, I am guessing, on a smaller scale.

From a personal view, I think Now TV should make it publicly known that they will auto-start a streaming service, such Entertainment, Hayu, etc., on dormant accounts because dormant accounts are of no economic benefit to them and probably costs them some money to keep open.

But unfortunately, Now TV tends to keep it's less friendly policies under wraps, which only becomes apparent when a customer accidentally runs into them.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

I do remember the backlash over that move at the time, although I wasn't one of the 'chosen' accounts. 

Long time no chat mate 😀

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Rob

You said, "Long time no chat mate".  Yeah I know, I've been on the DL lately coz' the forum, for me, seems to be going around in circles, i.e the same old problems keep coming up time and time again.

Also, no one has brought up any outside topics to talk about, so I'm swinging by, rather than getting involved, and having a look but each day I'm finding less and less to comment on.

So Rob, until something comes up that I can get my teeth into I shall just continue to bounce in and out.

Catch you later

Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

You find yourself in the same position I do. These days I quickly browse through the 'recent activity' and move on. I don't find so much to get involved in around here anymore 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Yes, likewise here.  I still read the Forums but rarely contribute to them these days.

With reference to the original query, I have always advocated that if you wish to close your account completely, and never use it again, after telling Now TV that you are closing the account you should also notify your bank or card issuer that you are cancelling your continuous credit authority in favour of Now TV.  Under current UK legislation, your bank MUST act upon your instruction and block any further requests for payments.  It's the law!

Regards,

Wlat

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Hi Wlat

With regards to the forum, it seems that some of us "old timer" (😀 I mean, long time forum members 😀) are getting a bit bored but hopefully something will pop-up to pique our interest again.

As for Now TV's hidden policy, i.e. auto-starting an unwanted streaming service, I thoroughly agree with your solution of "cancelling your continuous credit authority", as a means of protecting yourself from having a company treating your bank account or credit card as one of their resources.

With Now TV's auto-start policy in place, and if you are a Now TV device user, cancelling your CCA will result in loosing access to the free channels, such as You Tube, iPlayer, ITV, etc., as well.

So buying that cheap Now TV device now has a hidden hook.

UK Bob

However, your solution will result in  But unfortunately that is the hidden cost you pay for Now TV and using devices, e.g. stick.

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Or someone will pop up to whom it’s all still a novelty and help take the load off you Smiley Tongue

But please don’t stop posting, as I am still learning; as in the above, if I sign out so the Stick doesn’t know who I am, it’s going to insist I sign back in before I can use anything?

(I’m a few hundred miles from my Sticks right now, so I can’t try it).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.