cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable to activate Sky Sports Day Pass

What it says in the subject line.

I can't buy a day pass as it says I already have one that I need to use. When I log on to the Now TV app it tells me that I need to purchase a day, a week or a month pass.

I have checked to see if the pass was purchased on another account by accident, as it was suggested as a fix on here. But that is not it.

Only thing I can think might be the problem is that I commute between Republic and Northern Ireland. I bought a pass when in the North and wasn't able to activate it. I have since bought passes when in the South and been able to activate them ok. I'm in the North again for Christmas and I am unable to activate to watch the football.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Nobody has told NowTV quite how notional the border in Ireland is, and the division between NI (UK) and IE is more pronounced in cyberspace than it is in real life.

I think a Stick is a Stick (though I could be wrong), once you have activated any passes on it, which are definitely country-based, but it might be worth you having two accounts, one UK and one IE, and applying Passes bought in the two countries accordingly.

(If I’m wrong here, then you’ll need a Stick from each country also).

If you get an NI-bought pass activated, does it work OK in IE, and vice versa, or are there issues even here?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RoyB, thanks for your reply.

Basically I'm locked out of NowTv when in NI. I can still watch in ROI.

I bought a pass in August when in NI and haven't been able to activate it. When I'm in South, I buy a pass and it doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the NI (UK) pass and I work away.

I don't bring the IE stick with me, I use different devices and usually try to activate via mobile on Chromecast when in NI. I might bring the stick with me next time I'm up and see if it can activate.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It’s probably worth reading up on ‘Roaming’ on the NowTV Help, since, perhaps bizarrely, that’s what you are doing when you cross from IE to NI.

The rules have it, I think (but check) that you can use a pass on an IE account in NI as long as you activated the pass in IE, and you use it again in IE within 30 days.

But you can’t add a pass that you have bought, even an IE pass, while you are not in IE. (I assume that the autorenewal of an existing pass is OK, though).

And vice versa for an NI account used in IE.

I suspect that it is a bug that anyone could even add an NI pass to an IE account, and vice versa; and that NowTV should have refused to accept it at all, not just refused to activate it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.