cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Terrible Device Limit

@4268

The kids TV's are Roku boxes, but installed in media cabinets or on the back of the sets, moving them would be a pain in the backside.  Not to belitlle the situation but until anyone has tried explaining to a 3 year old why she cant watch BFG on one TV but she can on another, they have no idea how utterly stupid this device limit is for a family.

Being able to watch entertainment on one tv but not on another, then have that situation reversed with the movie pass is just overly complicated and even more useless for a family home.

The exhaustive list of devices we can watch on far exceeds just the TV's in the house too.  I can think of 7 immediatley we regularly watch on, and an eigth will be in place soon. Thats before counting any tablets or smartphones (but we hardly ever watch on those anyway).

With Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc we just turn on a device and watch it. Wherever we are.    No messing around with daft device limits, we can watch up to 4 streams at once which allows for each memebr of the family to watch something different if they choose.  Though I cant think of a time when we have exceeded 3.

This device limit simply doesnt work for our family home, and when the offer I have on Sky cinema runs out, I wont be renewing.  We got on for years with just Netflix and Amazon available to all devices, and we only signed up to NowTV over Christmas for films.  Its the same reason we havent bothered with Sky, not only is the family package stupidly expensive because they have to subsidise the daft money they paid for football rights (we arent a sports subscriber), but there is no way of streaming it to all the devices we would like.

If Sky/NowTV are serious about competing against the likes of Netflix and Amazon, they need to seriously think about how they are going to deliver the service to households with growing numbers of devices.  As I can see this device limit has been in place for years with no sign of any change, I doubt my war and peace above will make any difference but Im shocked that the powers that be at NowTV still think this device limit is a good idea.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Redball I was simply trying to reach a solution given the parameters. I have Netflix and Amazon myself. I would say one major difference is the live content on Now. If you compare Now with Virgin or Sky you have to pay extra for the ability to watch on additional TVs.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

Highlighted
Advocate

Stupid device limit so annoying im going back to netflix
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar 3

Probably seems like an obvious question that already been answered, but what's the point of Now TV having a device limit?  Just seems an inconvenience to me

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Matthew1234567 it's due to the licensing agreements with studios.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

Highlighted
Advocate

I bought 4 of the Now Tv devices months ago as I happened to have 4 rooms with Tv's. I soon found out that after registering all 4 devices I could not play now TV on my phone or tablet, they all came with 2 month passes so have used them and watch now TV with the box passes, not a bad service to be honest,but will cancle it soon as passes have run out and I'm not paying for a service that limits the devices I can run it on. I have netflix and Amazon prime video also and they haven't a ridiculous device limit. 

So unless this changes, it goodbye now TV for me.

Highlighted
Advocate

Why would he want to pay twice?

Highlighted

The device limit is ridiculous and unfair. It goes against the concept of streaming. I Can’t stream wherever I am because of this limit. It’s a bloody farce and an expensive one at that!
Highlighted
Advocate

I really disagree that this is an adequate solution, I’ve just found this post through a google search and I couldn’t agree more.

The device limit with NowTV needs to be reviewed at the highest level; you already have a multi stream limit which is more than adequate for stopping abuse of the service.

People today have a lot of devices, between tablets, phones and TVs, and PCs, MacBooks etc. E.g in my household there is like 10+ devices?

Especially for your heavy tech users, who are the kind of users who actively promote the service with friends and family.

Personally, I’m going to cancel my subscription this month due to this, and won’t be returning until something is done to resolve it. All other major streaming services such as the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming don’t have this draconian policy. 

Best 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert 3

@4268 wrote:
@Matthew1234567it's due to the licensing agreements with studios.

Is that true? I don't really believe it is because why would Netflix, Amazon, TV Player and every other streaming service not have it?

I suspect the truth is that Now TV is built on the Sky Go platform which has these type of restrictions. And the rationale for that is if people can stream on multiple devices they won't pay subs for extra set top boxes. Virgin Media has a two device limit (even worse given I pay £41/month). I suspect this is also a legacy of the platform they have built with the intent of making people get extra set top boxes at £7/month.

I won't cancel Now because of this but it has made me do things like have three separate accounts for sports, entertainment and cinema which pretty much circumvents it and gives me 12 devices if I so wish.  

0 Thanks