cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyB
Legend

Sky Glass versus Now plus other subscriptions

it’s nigh-on impossible to figure out what Sky are doing with their new Streaming and puck offer; I’ve had a report of the month by month offering priced at the 18-month contract offer price, and other price discrepancies, and I can’t find out how, if at all, you get Netflix Standard instead of Netflix Basic, and at what cost in the Streaming offer.

(Normally, it comes when you take the HD add-on, but Streaming is already HD, but with Netflix Basic),

So there are a few assumptions below, but here’s the calculation for my package:-

Sky Glass (18 months, or monthly if you can get that deal, by month)

Sky Ultimate £26

Cinema £10

Netflix Standard £4 (upgrade from Basic, best estimate I can make)

Total £40 a month

Free puck, one-time £20 setup fee

Sky Glass monthly (as published)

Sky Ultimate £29

Cinema £12

Netflix Standard £4 (upgrade from Basic, best estimate I can make)

Total £45 a month

£20 puck, one-time £40 setup fee

Now plus other subscriptions

Ent, Cinema, Boost £15 (retention offers, but Now are having a laugh on Boost)

Paramount+ £7 (included with Cinema on Sky Streaming)

Netflix £11 (Standard with HD)

Total £33

Anyone additionally subscribing to Discovery+/EuroSports at £7 would break even with Sky Streaming at £40

Other factors:

Pro Sky:

Possibility to upgrade to UHD.

Lots of additional channels.

Telephone support.

Pro Now:

May not need an additional device to get it.

Move from room to room at no additional cost.
Or no need to carry a Now device about, possibly.

No setup fee.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
29 REPLIES 29
redchiz1
Champion 2

Interesting. Factor the big daddy which is Sports into those figures and it gets even more so. 

I have always found Sky prices hard to fathom, ditto with BT TV. 

Currently I am paying £19.99 for Sports; £4.99 for Entertainment; £1 for Cinema and free Boost. Total = £25.98. Of course this is based on latest offers I have secured, but still unbeatable in my view. And I can and do cancel when anything gets too much. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You’re lucky then the cheapest I’ve ever had entertainment for is £6.99. I currently pay £25 for sports and cancelled cinema as I couldn’t get an offer. Boost I have never had an offer on.

if NOW offers weren’t so random I wouldn’t be moving 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User wrote:

if NOW offers weren’t so random I wouldn’t be moving 

And that is a very fair point. Keep us posted about any offers you get elsewhere.  😉

sb64
Scholar 2

Have you tried cancelling i get cinema for £4.99 entertainment for £5.00 and boost for £2 i don't have sports.

Sky are expensive they are bringing out sky stream next month which is the same as sky glass where you don't have to buy the tv which some people had problems with plus you don't get some channels that sky Q gets it up to you.

sb64
Scholar 2

Sorry just found out sky stream coming out 18th October.

RoyB
Legend

@sb64 

Yes, I’ve tried cancelling. I’m on the same offers as you at the moment, but Now are adamant they are putting Boost up to £5 next month, and I get no retention offer.

From what I have seen, Now work on a sort of inverse loyalty principle; the longer you have been with them, the more committed to Now they think you are, and the worse offer you get, while more recent subscribers get much better offers.

Time to prove their thinking wrong - I’ll keep cancelling Boost every day until either Now give in, or I do 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It makes me laugh NOW charge £5 for Boost and Sky charge £5 for 4K HDR on Sky Glass/Stream 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just got Sky Stream set up and I can confirm that Netflix is £4 for HD and £8 for UHD hope that helps.Sky Cinema is £11, Sky Sports is £25 and BT Sports is £30 but £27 for 18 months it says on the MySkyApp not sure if that means I would need take for 18 months or not though. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User Sky really are sneaky with BT Sports! It's only £25 a month directly with BT on a monthly pay as you go. My friend fell into the same trap with Sky Glass. He has now cancelled BT Sport with Sky and uses a Firestick with the BT Sport app. You actually get more functionality with the app and 4k UHD included.