cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyB
Legend

Sky Glass versus Now plus other subscriptions

it’s nigh-on impossible to figure out what Sky are doing with their new Streaming and puck offer; I’ve had a report of the month by month offering priced at the 18-month contract offer price, and other price discrepancies, and I can’t find out how, if at all, you get Netflix Standard instead of Netflix Basic, and at what cost in the Streaming offer.

(Normally, it comes when you take the HD add-on, but Streaming is already HD, but with Netflix Basic),

So there are a few assumptions below, but here’s the calculation for my package:-

Sky Glass (18 months, or monthly if you can get that deal, by month)

Sky Ultimate £26

Cinema £10

Netflix Standard £4 (upgrade from Basic, best estimate I can make)

Total £40 a month

Free puck, one-time £20 setup fee

Sky Glass monthly (as published)

Sky Ultimate £29

Cinema £12

Netflix Standard £4 (upgrade from Basic, best estimate I can make)

Total £45 a month

£20 puck, one-time £40 setup fee

Now plus other subscriptions

Ent, Cinema, Boost £15 (retention offers, but Now are having a laugh on Boost)

Paramount+ £7 (included with Cinema on Sky Streaming)

Netflix £11 (Standard with HD)

Total £33

Anyone additionally subscribing to Discovery+/EuroSports at £7 would break even with Sky Streaming at £40

Other factors:

Pro Sky:

Possibility to upgrade to UHD.

Lots of additional channels.

Telephone support.

Pro Now:

May not need an additional device to get it.

Move from room to room at no additional cost.
Or no need to carry a Now device about, possibly.

No setup fee.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
29 REPLIES 29
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB Not sure why you titled the topic as you did by the way, which does seem to have caused a bit of confusion already. Did you mean Sky Stream?

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Yes indeed.

I posted about it before I knew the official name for Sky Glass without the Glass 😢

And I can’t go back and change it, as posts crystallise after a minute or two…

A better heading than ‘What the puck?’ anyway 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Fair enough. So maybe the choices from Sky are go to Glass, or go to puck?  😉

starman73
Elite

For me…

Paramount free with crisps until end January 2023

Now Cinema £1/month until early December

Now Boost £2/month until early December

Now Entertainment free (due to voucher from stick I bought a long time ago)

Now Sports £9.99/month for a month.

Netflix - son pays for that, so I get it gratis

Disney Plus cost me £1.99 for a month until mid October (though not watched anything yet)

Prime - £79/annum until next July

Pro Now - just cancel and they make you an offer you can’t refuse.  And if you do, another offer via email you can’t.

RoyB
Legend

@starman73 

I cancelled Boost again, and Now just said “OK, bye bye then”, so I uncancelled.

Emboldened by you, I will leave it cancelled, and wait for the email.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Keep a look out on Offers in My Account as well, it is surprising what pops up sometimes.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

I’ve had Sports at £25 in there since the year dot, which is not my thing, but nothing else ever. Boost is now cancelled, so we will see what the e-postie might bring 😛

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

It did take me a while to get any offers on boost, which I was getting to a point thinking it was a myth!

Can't recall how I got it in the end, but at the start of the year I managed to get £2 a month. Which I have had since 😎

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
starman73
Elite

@redchiz1 yes, that's where I got Boost for £2/month for 3 months. 

I had an entertainment voucher for 3 months to use for a long time and when Mrs. Starman wanted to watch something when I had no offer I activated it.  Less than a week later, the boost offer appeared.

starman73
Elite

@RoyB  You only get the offers if you don't have an active membership.   I always cancel at end of offer and wait a while (could be a month or two).  Not overly concerned about having Now continually active as there is always Prime, Netflix and Paramount right now along with Disney, Britbox or whatever else is on offer as a Prime channel.

Also it helps to have more than one NOWTV account. Sometimes, I have memberships running concurrently when one offer is about to end.