cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Cinema Month Pass that I didn't order!

Hello

Can someone tell me why it was the case yesterday evening that A Sky Cinema Free Trial was added to my account that I didn't ask for?

I can see two MASSIVE problems with this.

1. I didn't initiate the process of requesting a free trial to Sky Cinema at any stage.

2. The Sky Cinema Pass that was added to my account states that in 14 days I would be charged a full months subscription. So within two weeks, I would be paying for a service that I didn't even order!

The only thing that I have actively done on my account over the previous couple of days was cancel my Entertainment Pass free trial.

Surely this breaks either GDPR or mis-selling rules, doesn't it?

Please can someone clarify why a Sky Cinema pass that I didn't order has been added to my account. I would do this through live chat, but for some reason that doesn't appear to work in my browser.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hello

Can someone tell me why it was the case yesterday evening that A Sky Cinema Free Trial was added to my account that I didn't ask for?

I can see two MASSIVE problems with this.

1. I didn't initiate the process of requesting a free trial to Sky Cinema at any stage.

2. The Sky Cinema Pass that was added to my account states that in 14 days I would be charged a full months subscription. So within two weeks, I would be paying for a service that I didn't even order!

The only thing that I have actively done on my account over the previous couple of days was cancel my Entertainment Pass free trial.

Surely this breaks either GDPR or mis-selling rules, doesn't it?

Please can someone clarify why a Sky Cinema pass that I didn't order has been added to my account. I would do this through live chat, but for some reason that doesn't appear to work in my browser.

Do you have a pin set up on your account.  If not I’d set one up as if you didn’t request the trial someone has, could be someone in your household or perhaps your account has been hacked, either way cancel the movie pass and set up a pin and you’ll not have any further problems.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, but I am the only one in the household and there is no way that the account could have been hacked!

Password is locked away in an encrypted container and has a good combination of Upper case, lower case and numbers.

This looks like either a complete cockup by NowTV or under hand mis-selling tactics by NowTV. I cancelled the Sky Cinema pass within around 15 minutes of receiving the email, but I should not have to cancel a pass that I did not request!

The appropriate regulator may be interested in this.

I will additonally have to ensure that no unexpected charges are debited from my Credit Card by NowTV in the future, just in case.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The exact same happened to me, had now TV for years, put app on my new Roku box. Charged for movies pass and sports week pass that nobody ordered. Luckily I noticed fast and contacted them immediately and they refunded the charges and cancelled the pass. I think it is the Roku app, now removed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What contact number did you use please ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To whomever can help,

I have recently purchased a Sky Sports Mobile Month Pass and unbeknown to myself along with it came the Entertainment Month Pass, one week trial and subsequent £8.99 payment.

I only stumbled across it when it showed up in my bank account. How do i go about getting a refund? Or making a formal complaint?

Thanks,

Fela

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Email customerservices @ NowTV.com (omitting the spaces) and ask that the money be refunded to you.

And Cancel the Entertainment Pass before it runs any further, or ask NowTV to do that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok. I think I may know what has happened.

Yesterday I noticed for the second time that a tv programme that I had not watch had appeared in my Continue Watching list.
I suddenly remembered that a few weeks ago, I had a massive clear out at home and gave a lot of unwanted items to a local charity. This included an unused NOWTV Box that hadn't been turned on for nearly a year.

I think this NOWTV box is linked to email account and the charity shop has probably sold it on or given it away to somebody, who have probably turned the NOWTV box on and started trying to use it with my account details.

Looks like this is the reason for the activation of the Sky Cinema Free trial. Apologies to NowTV for suggesting that they may have done something underhand in activating an unrequested free trial if it is indeed true that someone else is attempting to use the existing account set up on my old NOWTV box.

Now, you would think that the easy thing to do is to deactivate the device in my account (which I have) and reset my password, but I am not sure it has worked.
I am currently using a Roku streaming stick (with the NOWTV app included). Here is what I have done to reset my account.

1. I changed my NOWTV account password.
2. I then changed my NOWTV email / username.
3. I deactivated both the old NOWTV box and Roku Streaming Stick from my account.
4. I later set up a PIN so that no passes could be activated without a pin code that only I know.

Despite doing this, to my dismay, I found that my Roku Streaming stick was somehow still linked to my account without the need to have to run set up again. In fact, the NOWTV app on the Roku stick appears to have updated the account details with the new email address.

I presume this means that the NOWTV box that the local charity has sold on, will continue working too, will it?

What can be done to make sure that the old NOWTV box cannot work with my new account username?

I would be grateful for some urgent advice on this from anyone who may have had a similar issue, either with a NOWTV box or a generic Roku streaming device or maybe someone who can provide technical advice on whether or not the NOWTV box will definitely lock out the unknown user based on the fact that I have updated my email address.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This situation is very familiar to me. To date, I have been falsely charged on three occasions.

I think that NOW is engaged in its own form of gaslighting. From time to time, I find myself charged for services which I know full well I didn't order. This has occasioned enquiries and complaints to the company, which have been ignored, and several lengthy discussions with customer reps, via the shaky chat system. (This is virtually guaranteed to time itself out).

Recently, I have taken to checking my NOW account on a regular basis to confirm that I have not been sold more phantom passes. But one has to be vigilant. Just this morning, I found that £11.99 had been taken from me for an Entertainment Pass and a boost thing - both rolled on from a free trial which had been directed towards my spam file and to which I had not responded.

Something's not right.