cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scammed for money after trail..

So, I signed up for the a free trial with NOW on July 9th, and then immediately cancelled it so that I wouldn't be billed a month later if I forgot about it. 

I even checked back in early August on the site to make sure I cancelled it, and sure enough I did. So I thought everything was fine.

Then, low and behold, August 9th I get an email from PayPal telling me I've been billed €15 by NOW!

What's the deal here? Is it an error? Or do NOW regularly scam people?

I emailed NOW customer support immediately on 9th but 2 days later and I still haven't heard a peep back from them.

This is definitely not cool.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yea, I got an email about the cancellation.

It's all sorted now, via chat, they were fairly decent about it, but it turns out the trial I signed up for was for Entertainment & Cinema, and when I cancelled the membership it didn't cancel Cinema.

It was one of those times when you really have to read the fine print in the trial, but of course you don't know that you have to do that until it's too late.

I think NOW definitely have to be more transparent with this type of subscription/membership status.

Hi @Anonymous User  

so you cancelled  the entertainment membership, but not the cinema membership. You will see quite a few people on here that get caught out the same way as you did. On the system entertainment membership and cinema membership are different products, meaning each one needs to be cancelled separately. But as you found Now are usually quite reasonable about it when people get caught out.

Now does say that each membership type needs to be cancelled separately in their help articles. However, I personally think they need to plaster it everywhere or give the user a warning when they are cancelling that the cancellation process, they are going through will only cancel that particular membership type and not any others that may be active.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got charged after a free trial that I wasn't even able to use due to having Skype and Zoom on my laptop (I'm currently here to find out if that's still the case). They did give me a refund when I complained though. Try the chat services. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I might give that a shot in a while there if no CS people show up here to take care of it.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Hey Joe

I understand the way Paypal works, you should be able to claim your money back, i.e. have it refunded straight back to you.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yea, a PayPal refund is the last resort.

But if I have to go that route then it will be because NOW fail to respond and sort it out themselves, and it means that you've actually, really, been scammed.

Just hoping it won't come to that.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Might sound like a daft question, did you get email confirmation that your membership(s) were indeed cancelled?

Head onto Live chat to see what staff can do for you. Just make sure to click "chat online".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's all sorted now, via chat, they were fairly decent about it, but it turns out the trial I signed up for was for Entertainment & Cinema, and when I cancelled the membership it didn't cancel Cinema.

It was one of those times when you really have to read the fine print in the trial, but of course you don't know that you have to do that until it's too late.

I think NOW definitely have to be more transparent with this type of subscription/membership status.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User  

so you cancelled  the entertainment membership, but not the cinema membership. You will see quite a few people on here that get caught out the same way as you did. On the system entertainment membership and cinema membership are different products, meaning each one needs to be cancelled separately. But as you found Now are usually quite reasonable about it when people get caught out.

Now does say that each membership type needs to be cancelled separately in their help articles. However, I personally think they need to plaster it everywhere or give the user a warning when they are cancelling that the cancellation process, they are going through will only cancel that particular membership type and not any others that may be active.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yea, absolutely!

To be a trusted company you can't be doing ambiguous stuff like this in the hopes that a few people will "subscribe and forget", or make a mistake.

You wouldn't see Amazon or Netflix doing this because they know it would give them a bad rep, and the bigger the company the bigger the backlash from it.

I think my mistake was assuming NOW dealt in the same manner as these other subscription services, but at least they're fairly decent about correcting the mistakes.

Hopefully they sort it out in the near future.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @commanda6 

It would be much more simpler if the 2 memberships were combined. Of course for a reasonable price!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help