cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scam email

IHas anyone else received what I believe to be a scam email from NowTV saying their payment is overdue?

We noticed you haven't updated your card details saved in My Account. Now, your payment of £36.00 is overdue?

Please pay your bill in the next 10 days otherwise your NOW TV services will be cancelled. If you are within your minimum contract term for NOW Broadband & Calls and your services are cancelled, you will incur a charge for early termination. For more information about this charge, check out our Help article.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Forward that email on to Now TV customer support. Have to agree with you that sounds like spam.

Address is in the below picture.

D9BB265C-B02D-405B-B769-C0DDC3643254.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Forward that email on to Now TV customer support. Have to agree with you that sounds like spam.

Address is in the below picture.

D9BB265C-B02D-405B-B769-C0DDC3643254.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I have forwarded as you suggested 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just received a similar email which I have forwarded to customer services.  The thing that concerns me is, the amount request, in the email, is the amount of my last bill plus, I have recently had a new bank card.  I think my NowTV account has been hacked

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User Have you both checked your bank account/credit card account to see if, in fact, the last payment was made?

Although scammers do use convincing looking emails, they always include a link* to update your details. The quoted example from @Anonymous User lacks this link, so to me, at least, it looks genuine. 

* The scammer’s link should say “click here to be robbed blind”. But, of course, it never does.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for your reply.  I checked my account with NowTV and the last payment went through and I'm not in arrears.  I'm concerned that the amount of my last payment is the exact amount quoted in the scam email that they claim didn't go through.  How would they know the amount of my last bill and that I've recently changed my debit card?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I know over on NOW Twitter that a few customers was getting an email sent in error by NOW recently with regards to overdue payments, bank card details need updating etc.

NOW Twitter said that there was an admin error on their part, which was tweeted out about three or four weeks ago (don't know if they are resolved it or not).

If it was me i would get in touch with NOW using the email address provided in this thread above.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It could still be a genuine Now message, albeit erroneous. How far ahead of the bill did you change your debit card? It is possible that if you changed cards a day or so before payment was due, especially if there was a weekend between them, that Now had requested payment on your old card, which failed when the bank actioned it. That said, most banks will automatically update the card used - an act which u-sets some people.

Or what @schnapps said. (I don’t use twitter, so I have no idea what gets said there.)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The inappropriate question mark after ‘due’ is a tell that this is overwhelmingly likely to be a scam.

And scammers know what charges Now make for what, so the numbers are going to be in the right ballpark; though again, the lack of precision is another tell.

You should also know that when you get a new bank card, the banks now generally send the details of the new card to wherever the payments on the old card were being requested from, so you don’t have to run round telling everyone, and your payments are not interrupted.

This is something of a two-edged sword in some circumstances, but is generally beneficial in the majority of cases.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.