cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scam / Phishing e-mail re my credit card expiry?

I haven't been near NOW TV in an age as it won't run on my television (see my other threads for help!)

However I went online yesterday and checked the details on the NOWTV website. Amazingly, less than 24 hours later I've received an e-mail telling me the credit card is about to expire and update the details. It's not, as it's valid to 2022.

It seems a bit coincidental so someone needs to update their site security... but here's the body of the e-mail below, sent from mppglobal.com. Is this a scam? There seems to be no mechanism to report these anywhere else.

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Looks like a genuine email and it's come from the right address so if your card details are correct and you don't have any current offers anyway I should just ignore it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy - it's nice to know it's genuine. I'll check my card details but I know there's still four years to go.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Email from  [email removed] telling me my payment failed and asking for my card details to be updated. Not going to do this, it has to be a breach of NOWTV security.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just had the exact same email. checked my online banking and confirmed the payments went through so definitely a scam. 

Trying to find a way to get in touch with Now TV and send them a copy of the email just to make their customers aware.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also received the same email.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got the same yesterday (6th Oct) with 2 or so years to run on my card, and a payment went through successfully today.

It was from mpplobal too.

I don't think this was a scam.

What's more likely is that some numpty sent the wrong email to many users, so they got "payment failed" instead of whatever they meant to send. This is my line of work, and it would be embarrassing if we did it. Glad it wasn't us, but shame on Sky/NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had two e-mails like this. The most recent saying I owe £64 and I am going to be cut off...I mean seriously, they are hardly going to want to cut my contract! Thing is, my card details have been changed on NOW TV as I lost my card and have  anew one now...this is autoswitched by my bank.

Looks like NOWTV have a data breach where someone knows that my card details have changed. And yes, nowhere to report this, apart from here - covid19 means not even live chat.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You know Bryan

Any such email that's received asking you to "click here" and update your debit or credit card details must be seen as a SCAM, phishing (note the spelling) for gullible people to fall into their trap. 

And unfortunately, you can't depend on Now TV to put things right, plus I'm guessing that it's more than likely Now TV's been hacked, which is something they will never publically admit to.

It's just goes to show that when dealing with online companies, or paying for goods and services online, you cannot treat them like high street shops, and you must always (always) be on your guard. Simply because these companies may say their customers are their highest priority but customers are not, they are just an economic resource. These companies highest priority is their bottom line, followed by the public image they project.

So always protect your own bottom line, trust nothing online.

UK Bob

PS. When in doubt, delete.