cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Received an automated message about hacking

I received a call on my landline which was the voice of an automated message stating ”we have detected some kind of hacking activity your connection is going to be terminted in 24 hours“ there were two touch tone options given to me but I just hung up. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m not hacking anything, could this be something to worry about or should I just ignore? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sounds like some sort of phone scam to me.

If it was me i would contact live chat for reassurance that it is a scam and not legit.

Open the link below and select the most appropriate or nearest help topic, then once you reach the final stage, scroll towards the bottom of your screen page and click the drop down arrow below Get in Touch where you should see the contact option buttons for NowTV.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks I’ve chatted to them and they have confirmed it’s spam. Thanks for your input
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The touch tone options will call expensive premium rate lines where they will endeavour to keep you on them for as long as possible.

Fortunately, you didn’t fall for it.

In general, no-one outside of your ISP can tie your phone number to your IP address, so when I get a live call from ‘Microsoft’ my response is “What IP address is this coming from, then?”, which of course they can’t answer, because it isn’t.

And they always hang up instantly when I then ask “Are your family proud of what you do for a living?’, which is apparently a particularly effective ploy.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks it’s good to hear some useful advice and glad I didn’t fall for it.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Also useful in these cases, both for you to check, and to warn others:-

https://who-called.co.uk/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.