cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Payments taken without consent

Not sure how this works so I need help please.

I originally signed up for a free month back in March and once it was up, I cancelled it. Without realising it, since July, 3 payments have come out of my account without my consent, what can I do about it?

thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you do something about us not being able to update our payment details??

For an organisation this large to have such a crappy web interface is wrong. Can’t we get it sorted??

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What is it that you can’t do, exactly?

I have just accessed the relevant screen two different ways, and it seems to be entirely available to me. (Although I didn’t actually try to change anything, having nothing to change).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Everytime I go to update payment card details it takes me to sign up with now tv and logs me out of my account.

I paid last month through the automated telephone thing so thought it would’ve saved my card details from that but had an E-mail saying I’m behind. Not sure what to do now other than phone back. Bit of a ball ache when I’m walking an hour back from work and cannot sort.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What is it that you can’t do, exactly?

I have just accessed the relevant screen two different ways, and it seems to be entirely available to me. (Although I didn’t actually try to change anything, having nothing to change).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is insane. The same is happening to me, The last time I used NOW TV was March/April 2019 to watch GOT. And then Ive just seen that my "Free Trial" Was activated in March 2021!

2 years after!

If its to incentivise dormant customers, I agree, Its technically fraud and stealing without consent!

I went to chat and the customer service boy on the other line said its not his fault i didnt contact them first in the first place when this happened so he can't give me the full refund!

This is ridiculous. Any help here in getting this money back?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Best to send an email to customer support. Address in the below picture. 

Now TV customer service.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

While agreeing with @gavs82008 that contacting Customer Services is your best option, here are a few nuggets of background:-

Now do not start Free Trials that turn into paid subscriptions. That would indeed be theft.

They do (or used to, at least) offer Free subscriptions that do not turn into paid ones. (Though these are/were problematic as they can prevent said customers taking up Now special offers, so they may not do it any more).

If Now offered you a Free Trial, they must have sent you an email, otherwise you wouldn’t even know about it. Do you have, or recall getting, such an email?

Having a Now account without a Payment Pin is not a good idea, especially if you share the account at all. It means anyone with access to the account can take such a Free Trial, and stiff you with the ongoing charges.

Access to your account can be leaked by giving someone access to your TV with an open Now account on it, or using your Account on someone else’s TV and not logging out when you have finished, or scrapping a Now device without first resetting it to clear your account details.

In all of these cases, having a Payment Pin set will prevent anyone else from starting new passes.

You can see if your security has been breached in this way by looking in your Account at the Devices page, and seeing  if there are any devices you don’t recognise, or time stamps that don’t represent your own usage on devices you do recognise.

And in your case, this would be any time stamp at all since April 2019.

The above are the sorts of things that Customer Service will no doubt ask you about.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RoyB 

Nowtv DO give you free trials that turn into paid subscriptions that is exactly the problem that led me to start this thread

Kind regards

Daniel

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

You didn’t start this thread, @Anonymous User did.

You posted in it, saying you had been given two free passes. These are not in dispute, but you did not say that this made charging recommence for you.

You will have seen the Community Manager, @Simon_J, posting above to state categorically that Now do not have any policy of doing this.

I am not saying that mistakes cannot happen, but in the case of one of these, Now would be able to see that they had offered a free pass and payment had restarted without customer action, during the duration of that free pass, and should make a refund immediately.

As we have seen, Now know almost from minute to minute when watching is taking place on your account, and on what device(s); and so in the case of unexpected charges, it should be possible to know what passes were restarted when, and on what devices. And you can ask them for that information.

They don’t, though, know if it was actually you; but they do know it was on a device on which your account password had been input at some stage.

And it’s easy to get wrong; we gave a smart TV we no longer used to our son, and he innocently bought a series from Amazon Video on it, and it came off my credit card because I had not thought to log out of everything on the TV before passing it on. So it was quite fortunate that we had kept it in the family….

Finally, my understanding is that once you have used a pass on a Now account, you aren’t entitled to a further free trial on that type of pass. So the only way there can be another one is that Now gave it to you; any third party with access to your account could only ever take a free trial of a pass you hadn’t ever used.