cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Payments taken without consent

Not sure how this works so I need help please.

I originally signed up for a free month back in March and once it was up, I cancelled it. Without realising it, since July, 3 payments have come out of my account without my consent, what can I do about it?

thanks

18 REPLIES 18
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Based on your description, you need to find out who is using your account, and how, and stop them.

If you had failed to Cancel properly, there would be more like six payments taken; so it looks like somebody, possibly even you, started watching NowTV again about three months ago, on your account.

Who would have details of this? Who has access to your NowTV devices? Family? Even a small child can restart a subscription just by watching something, and saying Yes to restart the Passes.

Friends? Housemates? Have you given away a live NowTV device with your account still on it?

Go to My Account/Bills & payments for the exact timings of these payments.

Go to My Account/Passes & vouchers to see what subscription(s) is/are running.

Go to My Account/Devices to see what has been used, and when, to watch at your expense.

Most importantly, go to My Account/Settings & PINs and set a Payment PIN, so no-one can buy another Pass on your account without knowing this.

Then Cancel any running Pass(es).

How much further you may have to go depends on whether it looks like your account details are compromised or not, so work through the above, let us know what you find, and we can give further advice if it looks like your account details are known to someone who shouldn’t have them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Royb
Thanks for the advice!

I’ve had a look at what you suggested and have added the PIN but looking at the rest of it, it wasn’t anyone, me included!

I don’t understand how it was dormant for a few months and then suddenly restarted again! I’ve checked the date on my works calendar as it was reactivated on 22nd July at 8.15am and I was at work by then!

What do I do now?

Thanks
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

OK, if it wasn’t you, you need to know who else it could have been.

As above, check My Account/Devices to see if the device or devices used on that date or since are all ones you recognise or not.

That should tell you if the reactivation was internal or external.

If internal, on a device you recognise, e.g. a TV at home, via an App on it, or a Stick or Box plugged into it - partner? child? housemate?

The Payment PIN you have set will prevent a recurrence.

But if it is, or you suspect it is, external, delete the offending device, and change your NowTV password right now. 

But even this won’t stop an external person carrying on with existing passes as long as they stay logged in, so then immediately force a log out on all devices, as here

This should stop them coming back, and secure your account once more.

You may have been defrauded of three month’s Passes, if it was external, but I doubt even Inaction Fraud would do anything about that for you; try to figure out how the breach occurred and how you can stop that happening in future, and chalk it up to experience 😥

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just had this exact thing, today on my account I had both a movies free trial and a week of sky sports. I was downstairs in front of the TV and the laptop was turned off (only other device with access) so there is no way somebody physically bought it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just had the same problem today I've been signed up for 2 free trials without my consent and my movies pass was cancelled a couple of weeks ago but that's not the end of it I had already cancelled this pass in March and then if by magic it had uncancelled itself and charged me 11.99 at the end of April.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Work though my reply above, 01/10/2019 to @Anonymous User , first lockIng things down as I describe there, and then doing a little forensic analysis on the activity on your account, as I also describe there.

And in case there may be a duplicate account involved, read the NowTV Help on Unexpected Charges, and how to resolve where these might be from, and/or apply for a refund.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User @destm @FLAT5B 

Hi Roy

Just want to mention one thing, all these guys that have suddenly found themselves paying for a monthly subscription they know nothing about could be victims of Now TV's helping hand (sarcastically said).

You know, as well as I do, that Now TV will help  restart customers' dormant accounts just in case those poor unfortunates have forgotten how to. Doesn't matter that you are not or don't want to watch anything, all that really matters is that you have a live Now TV account and well resourced  bank account.

In fact, and when you think about it, they're doing you a favour by taking your money.  After all, you'll only go and spend it somewhere else anyway.

If any of you guys break that little code, don't get mad I'm only kidding.

UK Bob

PS. It's hot, gonna get another cold beer and put on some music.

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

While NowTV will Indeed occasionally give dormant customers a month’s pass for free, to nudge them into perhaps resubscribing, this does not continue beyond that month, and certainly does not resurrect a paid subscription, even if you take advantage of the free pass.

If it did, that would be theft, pure and simple, and so a completely indefensible practice.

Even the free pass can be an issue, since its unwished for presence can prevent the customer from taking advantage of any special offers that are occurring at the time. When Live Chat was available, this was only a small problem, as they could super-cancel the free pass so it stopped immediately; but even this was an annoyance to the customer.

Now there is no Live Chat for the duration, this is a bigger issue, albeit one that NowTV are aware of. And some of us would like to see such passes, if they are to be made available at all, requiring active customer consent before they take effect. But still not restarting a month-to-month subscription; something we know NowTV is capable of arranging, as this is how the short-duration Sports passes work.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ukbobboy 

We occasionally offer free Passes to our valued customers for a number of reasons. If a Pass is pre-loaded by us, auto renew is switched off so that a customer doesn’t get charged after the offer expires.

Please see this article which outlines other possible reasons for why an account might be being charged.

Thanks

Simon