cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
askingforapal
Advocate

Payment details removed by NOW

Does anyone know why the clowns at NOW remove payment details.  By that I mean the real reason,  they have told me they are unable to collect payment and that causes the details to be removed.  However,  unable to collect payment can be a number of technical reasons.

The payment is being taken by a debit card,  for an account constantly in funds at a large high street retail bank.  There isn't a legitimate reason why the funds should not be taken.  Nor is there a legitimate reason why the payment details should be removed by NOW.  It's now happened four times in total

I've contacted NOW help,  you get the usual response,  but without actual help to solve the problem.  All they appear to want to do is to re-add the payment details.  Now other subscription service or service provider I have has this difficulty with payment systems.  So why is it that NOW are so poor?

1 REPLY 1
RoyB
Legend

@askingforapal 

Put most kindly, I think Now, the poor relation of the Sky family, are underfunded, and this shows in all sorts of ways, one of which you have encountered one here.

The recent inexplicable change in which the device list, which for a long while now we have no longer been able manage for ourselves, has morphed for me into fifty occurrences of browser use, instead of the six or so instances of device (PLAYER!) use it should be, is another.

And Now have just introduced autoplay for episodes, going from unavailable to compulsory, with no option for those who preferred the old way to toggle that on.

And I’ve been asking, in vain since 2017, for subtitles to be persistent for those who need this, but no, I have to toggle them on every bloody time I start a new Now programme.

UHD? A distant dream. HDR? Another one.

I’m sure you all have many other examples, like Now broadband being seemingly stuck in the rapidly diminishing FTTC market, five times less reliable that the FTTP they really ought to be able to supply to those in FTTP areas.

But Now, seemingly unavoidably, have almost all Sky’s content, at what is still a very competitive price, and Sky Streams, which Sky might have hoped would lure Now customers into the lower reaches of the Sky fold, is still too expensive, and too puck-bound, to do that.

But I’m sure the Faustian pact with BT limits what Sky might be able to do to to make Now even less attractive.

And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into Now, despite all its failings.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.