cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joCB

Overdue payment potential scam

Hi there,

I received today an email regarding an overdue payment which I think may be a scam. The sender was this address: [email removed] and asked to contact the following number to settle the bill: 03337 594 851.

I initially assumed it was legitimate as the figure mentioned in the email matched my latest bill, even if nothing in my online account space warned of an overdue payment - only the aforementioned email. Additionally I had recently changed my card details (prior to the billing date) so I assumed something may have glitched preventing the payment.

The call started off fine despite the customer service rep cutting off a couple times for a few seconds. I was asked to provide my card details which I did.

He then let me know that there had been a technical error and needed to ask for my card details again. My concerns were met with pushiness and frustration which did not really do much to reassure me this was legit.

I still think this may be a legit overdue payment, as my latest bill amount has not yet been processed by my bank, but I should note the number specified from the email slightly differs from the default billing number shown on the NOW broadband website: 03300 412 474.

I'll call the latter number tomorrow, but thought I should write here in case anyone had experienced something similar. If so get in touch.

3 REPLIES 3
joCB

The email address got censored but it was sky @ notifications . contact . sky

redchiz1
Champion 2

That would suggest it is genuine, but do check beneath the address actually shown.

RoyB
Legend

(This is weird; I have tried to reply twice, and my posting just vanished. Something Now didn’t like in there, probably that phone number, without the spaces in, but why clobber the whole posting?) 😢

@joCB @redchiz1 

https://who-calls.me.uk/

And enter [the number you quoted].

“[the number you quoted] is a non-geographic landline (UK).

This number has been searched 65 times.

Calls started on 17 August 2022.

There has been a total of 1 comment left about the phone number.

This number was searched from Dulwich, Manchester, Camberwell, Ripley, Reading, West Drayton, Hove, Amesbury, Hailsham, Newquay, Nottingham.

This phone block [first six digits of the number you quoted] is operated by Sky UK Limited.”

As they asked you to call it, you can be pretty certain you were talking to Sky (Now) then, and your credit card details should be secure.

If ever even such a genuine number called me, though, especially cold-calling, I would be wary, as numbers can be easily spoofed.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.