Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Now tv, new account no stick

Hi @Dave3101 

See if the 2.4ghz works on the other internet devices further away from the Router.

I agree it would make things much easier if ISP Router suppliers split the WiFi frequencies has default out of the box.

I had to do the same with my BT Home Hub 4 when i first joined BT a few years back.

I don't know if some of the other ISP's including BT have now got the dual band wifi frequencies split automatically without messing with the settings on their newer Routers (i believe the new Virgin Routers have from what i have read).

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Having recently joined BT around 2 years ago, they still don't separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals and that's me having the Smart Hub 2.  

However you are able to disable the 2.4Ghz signal when on the BT router page. This is what I ended up doing because more often than not my laptop wanted to connect to the 2.4Ghz signal instead!

So when I disabled the 2.4 signal I have not had any connection or speed issues at all. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

it is the opposite for me using the NOW Hub Router where i find 2.4ghz works better for me in my home setup.

Can't remember on my BT Hub 4 if i was mainly using 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

I haven't changed ISP's for four years and personally myself i am generally happy with NOW Fab Fibre (as long has the prices don't creep up).

Dave3101
Mentor

The 2.4ghz is definitely the better option. For us, if we are sitting in the lounge where our router is, the 5ghz is fast, very fast, but, go into the kitchen and there is no 5ghz signal. I split the bands, so we have 2.4ghz everywhere, so we can use our smart home stuff (alexa, Google hub, ikettle etc). But to ship the now hubs purely with only the 5ghz is the wrong thing to do. Not everyone is capable of splitting the bands.  My sister in law, she's not got a clue how to do it so I have to talk her through it later. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dave3101 

Do you think it’s worthwhile investing in a Wi-fi booster? 

Thankfully BT supply these with the right package.

Although I’ve used it because of providing an Ethernet connection, so I’ve connected my laptop hardwired. That way my Wi-fi is dedicated to my phones and iPad.

0 Thanks
Dave3101
Mentor

The first step will definitely be to split the band to give the 2.4ghz
band. Hopefully this will sort her issue. Talking my sister in law
through it to make sure she's going to do it right lol. We have a
extender, and, they are good, but, if your 5ghz signal only covers one
room, then you can't really extend that 5ghz signal as it needs to be close
enough to the router to have a decent signal, and then you have the issue
that you aren't extending it by much because it has to really be in the
same room to get a decent connection to the router. Think for now, I'll go
with talking her through splitting the band to give her a solid 2.4ghz
connection and go from there
RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dave3101 

When you subscribe to Netflix, do they send you a device?

When you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do they send you a Firestick?

When you subscribe to Disney+, do they send you a device?

Britbox? Apple? Chili? Rakuten?

You see where this is going….

See Now Broadband and Now streaming are anyway two entirely separate products, so signing up for Now Broadband doesn’t get you a Now TV membership, let alone a stick.

And anyway, lots of people with Now don’t even have a stick, as they can perfectly well watch it on the inbuilt app on their smart TV or other device.

So why accuse Now of being underhanded, and not the seven other suppliers above?

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
(As long as you started the thread, and haven’t already accepted an answer)
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’ (the thumbs-up icon)
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
Dave3101
Mentor

As I previously said. When we joined we got given the box as part of the
subscription.
0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dave3101 

That’s perfectly fine, the entire business model was massively different under the 21st century/Sky partnership.

Now under Comcast it has a clear way it’s moving to. 

No more devices provided by NOW, focus on the app itself. 

As mentioned several times throughout the thread NOW are NO longer supplying devices to watch their content on. In fact they don’t even have their own stick in stock for retail on the site. 

If you want to watch NOW, then you’ll need to purchase a device suitable for NOW.

Unless of course you have a smart TV with app installed?

RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dave3101 

When you joined, wearing a mask in a supermarket would have got you arrested.

Nowadays, it’s not wearing one that carries that risk 😛

Times change…..

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
(As long as you started the thread, and haven’t already accepted an answer)
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’ (the thumbs-up icon)
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂