cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv, new account no stick

So, my sister in law has just moved house, and, wanted to change from her existing TV package supplier. As we have never had any bad issues with now tv, we suggested that she go with now tv.  So far, this is an unmitigated disaster for her.  The Internet is hopeless, and unless they are sitting on the router, they cannot get a signal more than 5 feet away from it. Secondly, is it now a case that new accounts do not even get sent a stick or a box to actually watch what now tv?  What on earth is going on? When she signed up for now tv, nothing in any write ups suggested that she would have to independently purchase a stick/box, also, her TV is "not compatible" for the now tv app. As you can imagine, she's not very happy,  and, we now look very bad for suggesting she go with now tv.

Does anyone have an answer to these issues please. 

19 REPLIES 19
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you sign up to NOW it is the users responsibility to ensure they have compatible devices to watch NOW with. It is the exact same with Netflix that it’s up to you to ensure you have a device supported for Netflix.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

The NOW stick is no longer sold on the website, so it’s highly unlikely you’ll get a stick directly from NOW. 

When your talking about internet, is the internet with NOW or another provider? 

Back to devices. If I were you I would suggest purchasing an Amazon fire stick. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.  When we originally joined now tv, as part of the "pack" we were sent a set top box. This is why I questioned this. As for the Internet, its the now tv Internet. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

i am guessing when you signed up to NOW it was about 4 or 5 years ago and was on the legacy NOWTV Combo package that included a NOWTV Freeview Smart box (box with the NOWTV blue logo on the top of the box casing).

NOW decided to remove this type of Combo package for new Broadband customers about 4 years ago and since then don't advertise any streaming box or streaming stick hardware with their Broadband deals.

They only show that any new Broadband customers only receive a NOW Hub Router for the internet and there is no mention of any included streaming device to watch on a television.

All their internet adverts show a picture of a Hub Router and nothing else.

Where when they was offering the old NOW Combo package that was scrapped about 4 years ago the adverts clearly showed both a Hub Router and NOWTV Freeview Smart box in the ads.

When you order NOW Broadband has a new customer you can get discounted Memberships has an option, but again unfortunately there is no streaming hardware box or stick included.

Since NOW went away from their Comb legacy package about 4 + years ago, they expect new customers to provide their own streaming devices that can support and run the NOW App.

Like the other guys mentioned, NOW are not manufacturing the NOW Stick anymore and stocks are starting to dwindle from authorised Retailers.

The best price i can find the NOW Stick at the moment sold new is at B&M Stores for £20 with a bundled one month voucher membership.

Or maybe consider something like an Amazon Fire Stick Lite or Roku Express which can be found around the £30 price point mark (sometime cheaper when discounted by Retailers).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Forgot to mention that apart from the old discounted NOW Freeview Smart box which i believe you own, none of the other branded NOW devices offer the inbuilt over the air Freeview TV channels.

The NOW Stick has the four main terrestrial Apps such has BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc when using the internet, but don't offer the full complement of the over the air TV Freeview channels with a TV aerial.

Personally i don't have any problems myself with WiFi coverage in my Home using the NOW Hub 2 Router, though everybody 's home layout is different.

The main adjustment that i did to the NOW Hub 2 Router was following these instructions below :-

Should the NOW Broadband not be achieving the down speeds promised or the WiFi performance is poor, then you need to get the account holder to phone the NOW Broadband Team.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info on that. The 5ghz  "signal" is fine as long as you are within the same room as the router. Why they don't ship the router with the split already done is beyond me. Not everyone understands how to do it. Luckily this is my area that I can help with. Slowly talk my sister through it step by step

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

See if the 2.4ghz works on the other internet devices further away from the Router.

I agree it would make things much easier if ISP Router suppliers split the WiFi frequencies has default out of the box.

I had to do the same with my BT Home Hub 4 when i first joined BT a few years back.

I don't know if some of the other ISP's including BT have now got the dual band wifi frequencies split automatically without messing with the settings on their newer Routers (i believe the new Virgin Routers have from what i have read).

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Having recently joined BT around 2 years ago, they still don't separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals and that's me having the Smart Hub 2.  

However you are able to disable the 2.4Ghz signal when on the BT router page. This is what I ended up doing because more often than not my laptop wanted to connect to the 2.4Ghz signal instead!

So when I disabled the 2.4 signal I have not had any connection or speed issues at all. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

it is the opposite for me using the NOW Hub Router where i find 2.4ghz works better for me in my home setup.

Can't remember on my BT Hub 4 if i was mainly using 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

I haven't changed ISP's for four years and personally myself i am generally happy with NOW Fab Fibre (as long has the prices don't creep up).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The 2.4ghz is definitely the better option. For us, if we are sitting in the lounge where our router is, the 5ghz is fast, very fast, but, go into the kitchen and there is no 5ghz signal. I split the bands, so we have 2.4ghz everywhere, so we can use our smart home stuff (alexa, Google hub, ikettle etc). But to ship the now hubs purely with only the 5ghz is the wrong thing to do. Not everyone is capable of splitting the bands.  My sister in law, she's not got a clue how to do it so I have to talk her through it later.