cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv, new account no stick

So, my sister in law has just moved house, and, wanted to change from her existing TV package supplier. As we have never had any bad issues with now tv, we suggested that she go with now tv.  So far, this is an unmitigated disaster for her.  The Internet is hopeless, and unless they are sitting on the router, they cannot get a signal more than 5 feet away from it. Secondly, is it now a case that new accounts do not even get sent a stick or a box to actually watch what now tv?  What on earth is going on? When she signed up for now tv, nothing in any write ups suggested that she would have to independently purchase a stick/box, also, her TV is "not compatible" for the now tv app. As you can imagine, she's not very happy,  and, we now look very bad for suggesting she go with now tv.

Does anyone have an answer to these issues please. 

19 REPLIES 19
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Do you think it’s worthwhile investing in a Wi-fi booster? 

Thankfully BT supply these with the right package.

Although I’ve used it because of providing an Ethernet connection, so I’ve connected my laptop hardwired. That way my Wi-fi is dedicated to my phones and iPad.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
The first step will definitely be to split the band to give the 2.4ghz
band. Hopefully this will sort her issue. Talking my sister in law
through it to make sure she's going to do it right lol. We have a
extender, and, they are good, but, if your 5ghz signal only covers one
room, then you can't really extend that 5ghz signal as it needs to be close
enough to the router to have a decent signal, and then you have the issue
that you aren't extending it by much because it has to really be in the
same room to get a decent connection to the router. Think for now, I'll go
with talking her through splitting the band to give her a solid 2.4ghz
connection and go from there
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you guys for all your messages.  Definitely some strange behaviour from now tv in my eyes.  To not advertise the fact that YOU must source a device to use so you may watch now TV,  just seems underhanded in my mind. Anyway thank you guys for what is very valuable information.  Now if someone could sort out the rubbish update they did recently, I'll be a happy man. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

When you subscribe to Netflix, do they send you a device?

When you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do they send you a Firestick?

When you subscribe to Disney+, do they send you a device?

Britbox? Apple? Chili? Rakuten?

You see where this is going….

See Now Broadband and Now streaming are anyway two entirely separate products, so signing up for Now Broadband doesn’t get you a Now TV membership, let alone a stick.

And anyway, lots of people with Now don’t even have a stick, as they can perfectly well watch it on the inbuilt app on their smart TV or other device.

So why accuse Now of being underhanded, and not the seven other suppliers above?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
As I previously said. When we joined we got given the box as part of the
subscription.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

That’s perfectly fine, the entire business model was massively different under the 21st century/Sky partnership.

Now under Comcast it has a clear way it’s moving to. 

No more devices provided by NOW, focus on the app itself. 

As mentioned several times throughout the thread NOW are NO longer supplying devices to watch their content on. In fact they don’t even have their own stick in stock for retail on the site. 

If you want to watch NOW, then you’ll need to purchase a device suitable for NOW.

Unless of course you have a smart TV with app installed?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

When you joined, wearing a mask in a supermarket would have got you arrested.

Nowadays, it’s not wearing one that carries that risk 😛

Times change…..

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, do you know where exactly it says that you have to provide your own device in the terms and conditions? 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User   and  @gavs82008  for Info

Dave

There's a couple of things you may have missed or missunderstood, they are:

1) Now TV are no longer run by Sky, they are now run by an American company and so the name change to NOW. The change in ownership also means a change in company policy and also a change in direction.

For example, NOW no longer distributes discount vouchers/passes to retailers, this came about before the name change, and so by default is no longer targeting new and low income users.

As for supplying streaming devices with with their broadband products, this is another market area they no longer seem to want.

Besides, whenever a company, any company, enact and unpopular policy they do not publicise it.

2) It looks like NOW are stream lining their available products, such as no longer producing their own hardware devices, which ideally will cut support and R&D costs by concentrating on their efforts on their software app only.

So you see Dave, although everything I've written is just my speculation, you can see that the changes brought about by the new owners have a definite reason and purpose, changes as a current customer you may not see but are obvious to new customers when they can't find the "deals" that were offered under the previous regime.

So, from now on you should not presume you are getting any (default) deals unless you specifcally see it on offer in the adverts.

UK Bob

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Just to follow up from what @ukbobboy  mentioned.

Both Sky and NOW are owned by Comcast, which has a very different business plan for both companies. 

As I have already said up thread that NOW are not even selling their own device on the website would pretty much confirm that you need to provide your own device to watch NOW with.

Back in the pre Comcast days yes you did get offered a device from NOW, however if you are a brand new customer it is assumed that you have a supported device to watch NOW on. 

https://www.nowtv.com/terms

As mentioned by @ukbobboy  the offers and about NOW section no longer states anything about a NOW stick.

https://www.nowtv.com/offers
https://www.nowtv.com/about