cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV signed me up to a pass I didn't ask for.

Hi all,

I just had an email come through with a receipt for a 7 day Cinema pass. The issue is that I didn't sign up for it, Now TV seems to have done so automatically. This is an extremely dubious practice and certainly against my consumer rights, maybe even illegal.

I'll investigate the latter and if it is an illegal, I'll be reporting Now TV to Ofcom.

Paul

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This happened to me and unfortunately I didn’t notice the charge on my credit card I’ve now wasted £50 on a pass I didn’t even know I had and they refused to refund it. Disgusted to say the least.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same thing happen today. Had an email I clocked in my junk box, I haven't had a live pass with Now TV for a long time. Automatically signed up for a boost pass and entertainment pass, would have totalled around £16 per month had I not seen this. I checked and it was not a spam email, it was added to my account. I did not ask for this, did not consent to this and am outraged that my details would be used in such a way. I raised a complaint to Now TV when I got home and managed to cancel the pass in time, they only gave 7 days free pass so this could have easily gone unnoticed. Furious that this has been done without my permission. I hope yours was rectified. I will now be searching for a way to permanently delete my account, which he the way seems very hard to find. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Can you please copy the exact contents of the email here?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Thanks for your order

Hi Francesca,

Let the entertainment begin! Here’s what you bought...

Your order details:

ORDER DATE

Tue 7 Sep 2021

WHAT YOU'VE BOUGHT

Entertainment Membership 7 day free trial

£0.00

Stream over 300 box sets and the latest must-see TV shows on channels you won’t find on Freeview.

Boost 7 day free trial

£0.00

Stream in full HD with surround sound, and watch on up to 3 devices at the same time.

Today’s payment

£0

Your membership will roll on each month at the standard price, unless you cancel. NOW Boost will only roll on from month to month if you also have an active monthly membership. Check out the T&Cs below to see what you’ll pay.

If you’re on an offer or a free trial, you’ll start paying the regular price when your offer or trial period ends. To see details of exactly what you’ll be charged and when, log in to My Account.

Now let’s get you watching!

If you’re new to NOW, find out the easy ways to start watching here. Plus, if you don’t already have our mobile app, just click below to download it now and watch on the go.

Enjoy!
The NOW Team

STREAM ON THE GO

Browse, watch and download wherever you are with the NOW app.

Can’t see this email? See web version here | Add NOW to your address book.

You can’t reply to this email, but if you do want to get in touch, you can find us at NOW Help.

Free Trial: Your free trial will last for 7 days. At the end of the trial period, membership will auto-renew at the standard monthly price, unless cancelled. You can cancel anytime. One free trial per membership, per person.

NOW Entertainment Membership: Auto-renews at £9.99 a month, unless cancelled. You can cancel anytime. Shows are available on catch up for up to 30 days from date first shown.

Payment dates: We’ll normally take your first monthly membership payment on the day you buy it, or at the end of your free trial, and then on the same day in each month that follows. If you buy multiple membership cards at the same time, we might sometimes choose to take your next payments for each membership card on different days. This helps the banks to process your payments correctly. Don’t worry, if we do this we’ll always take your payments on or after the day it would’ve otherwise been, and you’ll only pay the standard monthly price.

NOW Boost: Full HD, Dolby 5.1 & advertising on selected content & devices only. Ad-free excludes live channels and trailers promoting NOW content. Requires a compatible NOW Membership (£4.99–£33.99 per month). Not all content available in HD. Limited HD content on hayu. NOW Sports Mobile Membership excluded. If you have an active monthly NOW Membership, NOW Boost auto-renews at £5 extra per month, unless cancelled; you can cancel at any time. If you only have a NOW Sports Day Membership, NOW Boost expires one month after purchase. Full HD‐capable device, compatible home cinema system and broadband (min. speed 12Mbps) required. Devices compatible with the Full HD and Dolby 5.1 features of Boost: NOW Smart Stick or Box; Roku Express or Streaming Stick; Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd & 3rd Gen, 4K, Lite & Basic Edition), Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen (2019), Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (2015) & 3rd Gen (2017), Amazon Fire TV Edition – JVC 4K (2019), HD/FHD (2020) & 2K (2021), Technika/Bush 4K (2020), Nebula Soundbar (2019); YouView; Samsung TV; LG TV; Sony TV; Apple TV (4th Gen & later (5.1 surround sound not available)); PS4; PS5; Xbox One; Xbox Series X & S; Chromecast Ultra and 3rd generation. Activate surround sound by changing device settings. Downloads: Download selected NOW shows, movies and sporting events via Wi-Fi in the UK. Android and iOS mobile devices only. Streaming only on all other supported devices (downloads unavailable). 2 downloads per episode. Downloads deleted from device 48 hours after viewing starts or no later than 30 days after.

Functionality and compatibility of NOW devices: NOW employs technologies such as digital rights management and copy protection to control the playback and copying of digital content provided by NOW.

Wi-Fi and NOW account required to activate NOW devices. HDMI cable (supplied) required for Box. Smart Stick is an HDMI stick for TV only and requires minimum clearance of 10cm (l) x 3cm (h) x 2cm (w) to connect; HDMI extender (not supplied) may be required for wall-mounted or small TVs.

NOW supports the following devices and operating systems:

PC (Windows 7 or later, including touch-screen devices); Mac (OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and above); Apple iOS (iPhone: 5S or later; iPad: iPad (5th Generation), iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad Pro (9.7”) or later; iPod Touch: 6th Generation or later — All iOS devices are supported with iOS 11 or later); Games Consoles (Xbox Series X & S, Xbox One (Xbox LIVE Gold Membership Required), PS4, PS5); Set-top Boxes (NOW Box, Apple TV, YouView (2nd Generation or later YouView boxes)); Smart Devices (NOW Smart Stick, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd & 3rd Gen, 4K, Lite & Basic Edition), Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen (2019), Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (2015) & 3rd Gen (2017), Amazon Fire TV Edition – JVC 4K (2019), HD/FHD (2020) & 2K (2021), Technika/Bush 4K (2020), Nebula Soundbar (2019), selected LG, Sony and Samsung Smart TV models, Chromecast); Android — Phones and Tablets running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and later. See all the shiny devices you can watch on.

Android recommended device specification for NOW app specs: Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or above, 1.0 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 480x800 Screen Resolution, Disable any 'Eye Tracking' features on your device (Smart Stay / Screen).

NOW does not support Kindle Fire HD and Wii devices, or the connection of mobile devices to your TV e.g. AirPlay.

Device compatibility for NOW Sports Mobile Membership:

NOW Sports Mobile Membership is only available on the following devices and operating systems: Apple iPhone: 5S or later running on iOS 11 or later; Android smartphones: Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or later, 1.0 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 480x800 Screen Resolution. NOW does not currently support connection of mobile devices to your TV e.g. AirPlay. Chromecast is not supported.

Cancellation period for any membership: You have the right to cancel your purchase of a NOW Membership, and receive a full refund without giving any reason, any time up to 14 days (“cooling-off period”) from the later of: (a) the date of purchase; (b) the date of delivery (for memberships which are redeemed using a voucher code we send you or you have purchased as part of a bundle); or (c) receipt of this notice, except where: You activated a NOW Sports Day Membership and agreed at that point that you lost the right to cancel, or you purchased or activated another NOW Membership and agreed at that point you lost the right to cancel.

How to cancel within cooling-off period: If you change your mind and wish to cancel your purchase during your cooling-off period, you can cancel your membership anytime in My Account. Visit our Help site to find out how to cancel. If you need more help, just get in touch by live chat.

Effects of cancellation: If you cancel during your cooling-off period we will refund to you all payments received from you, including any delivery costs.

Refunds: We will make any refund due to you (less any deductions due to us) without undue delay and not later than the earliest of 14 days from the date you notify us of your decision to cancel. We will make the refund using the same means of payment that you used when you placed your order, unless you have agreed otherwise.

How to cancel your NOW Membership outside of cooling-off period: If you wish to cancel your purchase outside of the cooling-off period (for example, you have purchased a NOW Cinema or Entertainment Membership and wish to stop it from automatically renewing), you can cancel your membership anytime in My Account. Visit our Help site to find out how to cancel. If you need more help, just get in touch by live chat.

These cancellation rights do not affect your legal rights.

Complaints: We appreciate that sometimes things go wrong and you may experience problems with NOW. When this happens, we want to make sure we resolve your problems as quickly as possible. If you would like to make a complaint, please go to How do I make a complaint? Our team is available via Live Chat and web form from 8am to midnight, 7 days a week, and will help you through your complaint each step of the way.

NOW is a trading name of Sky UK Limited (registered number 02906991) of Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex, TW7 5QD. Our UK VAT number is 440 6274 67. Prices are inclusive of VAT (where applicable).

Why can't I unsubscribe?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thank you very much for that.

What is clear here is that this isn’t an offer from Now, it’s the acknowledgement that ‘you’ have signed up for an Entertainment trial.

Which I hope you have cancelled, the Entertainment first, and then the Boost separately unless this has auto-cancelled, before it cost you any money.

I presume you haven’t had Entertainment before, or if you did, it was a long time ago?

So it looks like someone, but not you, has signed up on your account. So the question is who, and how?

Any TV or other device with a running Now account on it which hasn’t had a payment PIN set is a potential path to this. In your home, a child, other family member, friend or visitor, perhaps?

Outside your home because you scrapped, sold, or gave away, a TV or other device with Now on it, without resetting it first?

And, though thankfully much less likely, a full-blown hack, where someone has got your details? As the above methods give access, but don’t reveal your password.

Have a look in My Account/Your Devices, to see if there are any you don’t recognise, or do recognise, but have a Last Used date and time that wasn’t you. Any clues there?

But whatever, you now need to secure your account again.

Firstly, in Manage Account/My details and settings/Settings and PINs/Payment PIN, set one.

And make a note of it somewhere safe and secret, as even you won’t be able to retrieve it, or reset it without knowing what it is.

Next, reset your password to something new.

Finally, carry out this procedure:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/tips-to-help-you-keep-your-account-secure
the bit where it says ‘How do I sign out of all devices?’

to force a logout on every existing device, no matter where it is.

You will need to log back on to all your existing devices, with your account number and new password. But anyone with an old device of yours, or your details as they were, won’t be able to log on again without your new password.

Good luck!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.