cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV signed me up to a pass I didn't ask for.

Hi all,

I just had an email come through with a receipt for a 7 day Cinema pass. The issue is that I didn't sign up for it, Now TV seems to have done so automatically. This is an extremely dubious practice and certainly against my consumer rights, maybe even illegal.

I'll investigate the latter and if it is an illegal, I'll be reporting Now TV to Ofcom.

Paul

14 REPLIES 14
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Check to see if there are no other accounts using the same payment info.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/find-an-account

Fill this form out. In the comments section best to add in further detail of the situation.

https://account.nowtv.com/payments/query/incorrect-charge

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks.

The incorrect charge form process is great. I completed it and the reference number is "%{caseNumber}". Really useful Now TV.

Paul

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Is this email from NowTV?

Is there really a 7 day Cinema Pass added to your NowTV account?

If there is, please look in Passes & vouchers to see if it terminates clean after 7 days, or if it is showing a to-be-paid-for renewal after that date?

And let us know.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Yes.

Yes.

Did this immediately on reading the email, from Now TV. The pass was there and I didn't manually cancel the subscription, I would have been charged each month from then onward. Hence my comment about it being a dubious practice.

Paul

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

‘Dubious’ is something I regard as rather a large understatement in these circumstances.

I will see if I can get it investigated for you, as such a thing should never happen.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Thank you.

I'll point out that I'm the only person in my household with access to the Now TV account and that the Sky Cinema Pass was activated at 6.48am, on 25th June (thanks Now TV support for that snippet). I would have been entertaining my 2 year old son at that time, and no where near a device that would allow me to perform such a task.

Paul

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh and I have a reference number for the ticket I raised now. It's: 07380794.

Paul

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

Hi,

I had a Boost and Entertainment pass active at the time, and still do.

I was diddled out of a 1 month free Entertainment pass, when I activated a Now TV Stick. So this isn't the first time I've had a poor experience with Now TV.

Paul

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy 

You couldn’t have signed up to a 7-day Cinema Pass, as there is no such thing you can buy.

Could it have been a ‘free‘ trial you were signed up for?

Can you post the wording of the email you got, with any personal or sensitive information redacted? As we need to be clear if this action was initiated by NowTV, or if they think they were responding to an initiative that you, somebody masquerading as you, or a glitch in NowTV’s systems mistaking you for somebody else (etc.), had started.

I think it is possible to start such a free trial simply by looking at a Cinema item, and maybe NowTV think this is what has happened here.

Have you had a Cinema pass in the past? That would be something that would disqualify you from getting a free trial, I think, thus ruling out that possibility.

One thing you could, and should, do now though, is go to My Account/Settings & PINs and set a Payment PIN, until all this is bottomed out.

And look at My Account/Devices, and see if there is anything there that you don’t recognise.