Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richardvc
Mentor

New stick and Currys Pass.... Any tips

Good Morning,

First post on here....

I've just bought a Stick with a three month Sports Pass from Currys to get me started and have some questions...

1. My brother wanted to buy me a pass as a birthday present, can I repeatedly use passes from Currys etc ?

If so, any tips on how to do it successfully ?

2. Can I get the stick up and running without using the pass or are they coupled together ?

3. I'm a Sky Sports refugee, as I am sure loads of you are. What's the best way to go about using Now TV ?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

1. No problem using NowTV Gift Cards from places like Currys etc, where if you have an active running pass then you need less than 30 days remaining before you are allowed to apply the Voucher Code from the silver scratch panel on the back of the Gift Card.

Should you have no active pass of the same type running on your account has the NowTV Gift Card that you have purchased then once you apply the Voucher Code it should start straight away.

With a NowTV Gift Card purchased physically from a Store such has Currys make sure you are also given a paper activation receipt at the Sales Till together with the NowTV Gift Card.

2. I am not sure with the 3 month Sports Pass voucher bundled with the Stick if the pass on the Stick starts straight away (once you setup the Stick) if you haven't got an existing sports pass currently active running on your account with more than 30 days remaining.

I have seen people report that with the one month sports pass that came with the Stick if they haven't got an active sports pass the pass started immediately once the Stick is setup or on the next due scheduled payment date if you have an active sports pass that has less than 30 days left on your account.

3. Once you start a Sports Pass try and cancel it with a couple of days left to see if you are offered a discounted retention deal to stay, which might work out cheaper than the NowTV Gift Cards (when asked during the cancel process say "i can't afford it").

Also keep an eye on the Community Forum, NowTV Website Offers Page and HotUK Deals website for discounted Sports Passes.

One thing to note coming from Sky Satellite, that NowTV Sports Passes don't currently offer the Red Button Sports Service or any Catchup Sports Service .

If you want the best Sports Picture Quality and your playback device supports it then consider the additional HD Boost Pass for 50fps playback at 1080p.

Here's some more information to read up on.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/sky-sports-day-week-month-pass 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

1. No problem using NowTV Gift Cards from places like Currys etc, where if you have an active running pass then you need less than 30 days remaining before you are allowed to apply the Voucher Code from the silver scratch panel on the back of the Gift Card.

Should you have no active pass of the same type running on your account has the NowTV Gift Card that you have purchased then once you apply the Voucher Code it should start straight away.

With a NowTV Gift Card purchased physically from a Store such has Currys make sure you are also given a paper activation receipt at the Sales Till together with the NowTV Gift Card.

2. I am not sure with the 3 month Sports Pass voucher bundled with the Stick if the pass on the Stick starts straight away (once you setup the Stick) if you haven't got an existing sports pass currently active running on your account with more than 30 days remaining.

I have seen people report that with the one month sports pass that came with the Stick if they haven't got an active sports pass the pass started immediately once the Stick is setup or on the next due scheduled payment date if you have an active sports pass that has less than 30 days left on your account.

3. Once you start a Sports Pass try and cancel it with a couple of days left to see if you are offered a discounted retention deal to stay, which might work out cheaper than the NowTV Gift Cards (when asked during the cancel process say "i can't afford it").

Also keep an eye on the Community Forum, NowTV Website Offers Page and HotUK Deals website for discounted Sports Passes.

One thing to note coming from Sky Satellite, that NowTV Sports Passes don't currently offer the Red Button Sports Service or any Catchup Sports Service .

If you want the best Sports Picture Quality and your playback device supports it then consider the additional HD Boost Pass for 50fps playback at 1080p.

Here's some more information to read up on.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/sky-sports-day-week-month-pass 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost 

Richardvc
Mentor

Schnapps

What an answer !! You are a superstar for that ! I shall go and read up !

Thank you for taking the time.

My conclusions are :

My Sky package cancellation date is July 2nd so I shall unpack the now tv stick that day to avoid any confusion etc I do plan to add the Boost package too

Being able to use the vouchers / gift cards from Currys is also good news as I'm always being asked what I would like for birthdays etc but will make sure they have the activation code receipt if physically purchased

As for the red button bits, I never used it anyway !!

Once again, many thanks

Richard

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

Also forgot to mention there is no recording feature for the NowTV service and with Sports you will have to watch it live or on a repeat broadcast (if available).

The NowTV Branded Boxes and Stick does offer a 30 minute live pause feature that some people like using (i don't use the function myself unless i am desperate for a toilet break).

Richardvc
Mentor

I was aware of the no recording stuff but bought the stick for the live pause. 

I do shift work so the repeats will be useful but it is pretty rare that I ever record something. 

We had the whole Sky shooting match but realised we pretty much only watched the main stream channels (all on freesat) and I love my golf, football and rugby on Sky Sports.

Going this route will save over £90 per month which is a ridiculous amount of money !!

Once again, thank you for your help !

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

I just had a look at the Currys website and it looks like the NowTV Stick with the bundled 3 months sports pass is currently the full SRP of £99.99 😠.

I have seen Currys & PC World sell this bundled deal for £50 in the past on more than one occasion.

It's a shame you have already bit the bullet and purchased the Stick with the 3 months pass especially if your Sky Satellite subscription runs out at the beginning of July, where you never know a better deal might have been around the corner.

The best deal that i can find at the moment for a Stick with a bundled Sports Pass is from B&M Stores that is doing one month Sports with a stick for £20.

Though i find in my local B&M Store the Sports pass bundles are usually limited stock and sometimes hard to find (though Cinema & Entertainment are easier to get my hands on).

Screenshot_2020-06-03-14-08-28.png

Richardvc
Mentor

Yes I paid that for it but I saw it as the best option as 3 x months was £102 with a free stick which I needed anyway.

Thanks for the B&M tip, we have one nearish to us in Crawley so I shall keep an eye out for it !

Are the passes built into the stick ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

Yep, NowTV moved away from paper vouchers included bundled with the Stick & Boxes about 2 years ago, where the vouchers are now electronically embedded on the stick and boxes and should automatically upload onto your account once you have setup & activated the stick / box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Richardvc 

If you are considering buying more sticks in the future with the bundled passes purely for the vouchers then moving on or giving the sticks to somebody else.

Then this is possible, where you need to setup & activate the stick first to upload the voucher onto your account.

Once the voucher has been successfully uploaded, then factory reset the stick to remove all trace of your account details off the stick.

Keep an eye out on the NowTV Offers website page, where it is quite common to see sports pass deals for around £20 per month.

The cheapest ever one month sports pass deal that i ever come across on the NowTV offers website page was around £13 about two years ago (never seen this price again though).

Also in the past NowTV have offered longer term sports pass deals such has Football & F1 Season Tickets (where you get all 11 number Sky Sports channels included) or Black Friday & January Sales deals, which normally involves a single one off upfront payment (which might be risky nowadays with Covid-19 still looming out there). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Regarding vouchers, On checking Argos online it seems they have stopped selling entertainment/cinema passes, Not sure if they are still available instore? As I am unwell and housebound  I've not been into any shops or store for over 5 years