cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hex333
Mentor

New password sharing law

Hi 

I have seen that there has been new legislation passed about password sharing and am worried this will affect how I use my now TV.  One of the screens I use is at my parents house,  My parents provide childcare for me and I have put my now TV onto their device so my child has access to the kids and film channels.  They have never had my password as I set everything up but I am worried that under the new legislation I will no longer be able to  give my child access to their preferred programs while at their grandparents.  My parents cannot afford Now and I cannot afford to set up a second account.  Is this likely to affect my ability to use now TV in the way I have been?  I have seen other countries have a service called now together but cannot find anything about it for the UK.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Hex333 

Until there is something official from NOW, don't worry. It is only Netflix that is being annoying and clamping down.

My account is shared with family who I don't live with so I would be in a similar position. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Hex333 

Until there is something official from NOW, don't worry. It is only Netflix that is being annoying and clamping down.

My account is shared with family who I don't live with so I would be in a similar position. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Hex333
Mentor

Cool thanks 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Hex333 @gavs82008 

I believe what you are referring to is this @Hex333 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64003237

If I have understood the BBC article correctly and I am by no means an expert in this sort of thing.

Password sharing already amounts to a contravention of UK civil law , and might, in very rare cases, constitute a contravention of criminal law But only if sharing your password would amount to a breach of terms of service.

it would be up to each individual service to enforce their own policy on password sharing, because an offence would only be committed if sharing your password amounted to a breach of the terms and conditions for a particular service in question

as far as I understand at the moment there is no new law in the works. As such

as @gavs82008 , says only Netflix is really trying to clamp down on password sharing at the moment and they are already facing backlash over details that have come out recently. The intellectual property office itself has already had to backtrack somewhat on what it originally said, due to the backlash it got from the public

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/government-netflix-password-sharing-may-be-illegal/ 

I hope this helps put you at ease a bit😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Hex333
Mentor

Tgats great thanks for the info.