cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New EU Digital Single Market

Starting with 3 December 2018 all EU countries must adhere to the Digital Single Market law. UK is still in EU until Brexit is finalized, and NOWTV must follow the rules:

New EU rules allow Europeans to shop online without borders

On 3rd of December 2018 the new regulation proposed by the European Commission in May 2016 to end unjustified geoblocking online will enter into force. Europeans will not have to worry about a website blocking or re-routing them just because they, or their credit card, come from a different country. Wherever they are in the EU, they will be able to access goods and services online.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Starting with 3 December 2018 all EU countries must adhere to the Digital Single Market law. UK is still in EU until Brexit is finalized, and NOWTV must follow the rules:

New EU rules allow Europeans to shop online without borders

On 3rd of December 2018 the new regulation proposed by the European Commission in May 2016 to end unjustified geoblocking online will enter into force. Europeans will not have to worry about a website blocking or re-routing them just because they, or their credit card, come from a different country. Wherever they are in the EU, they will be able to access goods and services online.

if there is a licensing agreement in a region they can block access

In the above cases geo-blocking or other forms of geographically-based differential treatment are only possible in exceptional situations defined in the Regulation, that is, where an EU or national legal requirement obliges the trader to block access to the offered goods or services (e.g. a prohibition to sell alcohol to non-residents).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am sorry, but this rule is specifically designed for digital service. Example would be to be able to watch and pay for Now TV outside of UK. So, in this case, Now TV should not block the user if they are using the service outside UK, and still from a EU country.
BicBasher
Elite

When I'm in France, I pay for Molotov (similar to Now TV over there) with my UK debit card, but it only works within the country unless I show proof of French citizenship.    French residents (or those with a French card) can use their service in the UK and across the EU for 28 days.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I am sorry, but this rule is specifically designed for digital service. Example would be to be able to watch and pay for Now TV outside of UK. So, in this case, Now TV should not block the user if they are using the service outside UK, and still from a EU country.

Sorry but you are incorrect the existing copyright and licensing still apply now tv only have the rights to show programming within the uk, you are able to view now tv whilst travelling in the eu