Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to speak to somebody

I set up an account for a property I rent out. however I need to change the payment card. I can not remember the email address I used to set it up?


Now I have no broadband.

0 Thanks
1 Reply
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Need to speak to somebody


Give the team a call.

How to submit your complaint:

  • Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks